TCP Port 37 not open

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Tropicalhome, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Tropicalhome

Tropicalhome New Member

Dec 22, 2017

Advertisements

I have a Motorola modem, Apple AirPort Extreme and tivo roaming pro. All have worked perfectly for 3 years. Today I discovered my TiVo won’t connect to the internet because of a TCP Port 37 error. The TiVo tells me the Port needs to be opened on my router.

To the best of my knowledge all ports are open on an Apple AirPort Extreme. I have power cycled the modem and router and TiVo multiple times. In the correct order. I am a TiVo dealer for 7 years and I’ve never encountered this. Apparently it’s rare but I have found others online meantion a similar issue.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Tropicalhome

Tropicalhome New Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Oh even weirder. Netflix connects through the TiVo and works just fine.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    tivo fails on TCP port 37

Never affected my operation. However, my error went away (on 8 TiVo boxes) all at once when Hydra was released.

4. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    TCP 37 should not really affect anything. I started getting this error when my netgear routers got a firmware upgrade due to latest threats. If I power cycle my netgears, the 37 error will go away for a while, then come back hours later.

Maybe it being blocked is a good thing.

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

Port 37 is a red herring. Multiple people have reported issues connecting to TiVo but it isn't affecting everyone. I am sure there are enough people affected that TiVo will get phone calls and someone will fix it within a couple of days. If you are in the middle of a new install it sucks, but if not, wait a bit and it'll get fixed. It almost always eventually does before you run out of guide data.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes, the port issue is really a non issue that is occurring coincidently at the same time that Tivo is having server issues. The port issue has been around for a couple months already and the connection issue has existed for a few days. My Bolts and Mini are now connecting normally and the port 37 thing is still there.

7. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    My tivo shows it connects to Tivo service but guide info is not getting updated. I am seeing message port 37 error message. but when I watch the connection pricess it shows connecting, updating, setting clock etc.

TIvo says call Verizon and have port 37 opened. Never had this issue before.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In System Information, what are the dates of your service connection and its status? Same for VCM Connection.

9. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    My guide info seems to be getting updated and everything seems to work and I have the port 37 error for the first time on both of my Roamio OTA boxes.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In SI, what's the date of your "Program Information To:" and don't worry about the Port 37 error.

11. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Program Information To: Friday 2/9

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ok, you're not getting guide updates. Either am I. It's temporary and should resume shortly. So, are you having a problem? That Port 37 stuff isn't fixable and doesn't hurt anything. It will go away.

For current update status, monitor this thread -> Daily Guide Updates

13. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Things are recording as expected and scheduled and transferring programs from Roamio to Roamio is working.
    Routine phoning home by both Roamios say "succeeded" so I guess no problem other than the port 37 error.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It has been reported that guide updates have been fixed. If you want to force a service connection you should see that date move.

15. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    New date: Sunday 2/11 and the port 37 error continues.