TBN went black

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dolphinra, Feb 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Feb 1, 2020 #1 of 10
    dolphinra

dolphinra New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    I was able to watch TBN (Christian broadcast) on 40-1 and 40-2 for past several years without interruption (I'm in Los Angles area). Since about a week ago, the channel went black and shows from these channels are no longer recorded, even though the channels and shows are still listed on Guide and my To Do List. Up Coming lists other channels like 9-1, 10, 10-1, and 41, but all of them displays a black screen. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Feb 1, 2020 #2 of 10
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Since you're using the "-" designation, I assume you're getting those stations via an antenna.

You didn't specify what you're using to receive those signals but I checked and I can pick up those channels you listed fine with my TiVo Series 3.

I'd suggest you rescan your channels just to be on the safe side (although I haven't rescanned my channels in months)

I'd also check your signal strength on those channels.
    Something may have changed.

3. Feb 1, 2020 #3 of 10
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I'm not in your area but several of the tv stations in my area recently made changes to their broadcast signals and we had to rescan several times. Could be something similar where you live. The AVS board would have a thread on LA in the linked forum, you might also want to check there or ask about it there if the issue continues.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/

4. Feb 1, 2020 #4 of 10
    dolphinra

dolphinra New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    Thank you for your response!

JYoung, I ran Antenna Channel Scan (Scan for new antenna channels and Verify antenna channels) and Antenna Signal Strength. It lists channels 40-1 and 40-2 and the signal strength of those channels is 60, which is the same level as CBS, the reception of which has been pretty good in my place.

However, when I go to channels 40-1 or 40-2, it is still a black screen with a message "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)."

If you are also living in Los Angeles, it's unlikely the area-specific issue and I assume that our signal strength would be almost the same level, so it's puzzling why mine suddenly stopped receiving this week. I use TiVo Roamio.

Hcour, thank you for the link. I looked at the link and read a posting on Los Angels OTA but there was no mention about those specific channels.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

5. Feb 2, 2020 #5 of 10
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In my experience, 60 is low and in fact, borderline for 1080p channels on TiVo equipment.
    (I usually get 95-98% on KCBS.)
    IIRC, a V53 error is a low signal strength error so if you're getting one, well....

It could be a cabling issue from your antenna to your TiVo.
    Or perhaps your antenna moved.
    Is this an indoor or outdoor antenna?

I'm sorry, but that's a completely erroneous assumption.

Radio frequency signals are highly reliant on two factors, terrain and distance.
    (Weather can also play a factor but let's put that aside for now.)

Now all the television towers are located on top of Mount Wilson so in theory, if you have line of sight to Mount Wilson, you should be golden for up to say 40-50 miles.

So in theory, you should get great reception if you're in Glendale or Pasadena as both communities are not far from Angles Crest.

But if you're in the Chevy Chase Canyon are of Glendale, your reception will most likely problematic.

Also, buildings can play havoc with reception if they are between you and Mount Wilson.
    So if a three story building goes up next to you, that can be problematic.

dolphinra likes this.
  6. Feb 2, 2020 #6 of 10
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have to say it, but this could just be an act of God...
    <ducking>

foghorn2 likes this.
  7. Feb 3, 2020 #7 of 10
    dolphinra

dolphinra New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    JYoung, thank you for your response and information.

I'm using an indoor HDTV antenna and haven't changed anything on my end, not even an inch. It's set up on the highest point possible in my place.

OK, although 60 may be low, it has been working very well for other channels with this level, including CBS, a series of PBS channels, etc.

Interesting to know about the television tower. So, a new building (where I don't know of) between the TV tower of these broadcasts and my place could be a culprit of this interruption.

8. Feb 3, 2020 #8 of 10
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Indoor antenna. That makes sense.
    Being indoors adds another level of potential interference to your reception.

I don't know how feasible this is for you but I would give serious thought to switching to an outdoor antenna.

I'm also thinking that perhaps there is a cabling issue from the antenna to the TiVo.
    Anything from a loose connector to a bad cable.
    (It doesn't happen often but sometimes these cables just go bad. Or a rodent munched on it.)
    Or even that the amplifier on the indoor antenna (if it has one) is not working or simply unplugged.

I would also look at moving the antenna to be in or next to a window that is the closest and faces towards Mount Wilson.
    (Higher up is better as well, as you indicate.)

dolphinra likes this.
  9. Feb 3, 2020 #9 of 10
    dolphinra

dolphinra New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    JYoung, thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I'll take those into consideration. It's been very helpful! Much appreciated.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    You know the old saying:
    Once that happens...