Taking cover off premier for better cooling

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by elwaylite, Aug 22, 2011.

1. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    I keep mine enclosed and would like to take the cover off for better cooling (always worked well with Dish DVR's). On the Dish DVR, removing the cover and using a 120mm USB fan blowing down onto the board really drops temps. I understand removing the cover technically voids the warranty, but is there any way (seal) to know I actually opened it and used the extra cooling fan?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Why do you need extra cooling? Compared to past TiVos, the Premier actually runs pretty cool.

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I keep mine in an enclosed cabinet with glass doors and no ventilation and have never had a problem. If you're really worried about it, cut a hole in the back of your enclosure and vent the enclosure.

I'd be more concerned about removing the cover and disrupting the way the air flow was intended to function.

4. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I really wouldn't do that. A better option would be to cut a hole in the back of your entertainment center vent it. If you leave the insides open they are going to collect a lot of dust and such on all the internals. Heck it could even be a fire hazard depending on how hot thing got near the power supply or other high power areas.

Proper venting and elevating the component slightly to improve air flow is the easiest way to keep your electronics from getting to hot (thus extending their life).

5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Take 4 NyQuil (liquid medicine) cups and place one under each leg, elevating the TiVo about an inch. And don't place any other electronics directly on top.

6. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    No

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When NyQuil first came out it was something like 25 proof, basically overpriced nasty tasting booze. Don't know if that's changed, but the idea of raising the unit further away from the flat surface on which it rests is valid. I'd put something sturdier than a disposable cup under the legs, though.

Running it with the cover off (an insane idea if there are ever persons under the age of 18 in the building) gives your homeowner's insurance provider an excuse to deny a claim even if the TiVo had nothing to do with it.

Get one of those super quiet fans like "hi-fi" enthusiasts used to use on vacuum tube power amps and use it to provide improved air flow through whatever kind of shelf system or cabinet in which the TiVo is housed.

8. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Thanks, I know other DVR's have benefited from setting them up higher.

Thanks.

I ordered 2 coolerguys 120x120mm quiet 1200 rpm fans, so Ill see what I can work up for the Dish DVR and the TiVo. Im sure the temp is fine, but a lower temp never hurt anything.