Take Two: Tonight on ABC

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Fl_Gulfer, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf

Advertisements

New, 6/21/2018, Drama, Crime, Network
    After the former star of a cop series has a publicized breakdown, she becomes desperate for a fresh start in her career, so she shadows a private investigator to help solve crimes, while also doing the job as research for a possible comeback role.
    Credits: Rachel Bilson (Actor), Eddie Cibrian (Actor), Xavier de Guzman (Actor), Aliyah O'Brien (Actor), Alice Lee (Actor), Jordan Gavaris (Actor)

2. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    We really liked it. We are both Bilson fans from OC, Heart of Dixie, etc. We liked the dynamic of Rachel and Eddie's characters. It's very Castle-esque with Rachel in the Castle role and Eddie in the Beckett role. I think it will appeal to the large audience that Castle enjoyed so it should do well. OnePass DEFINITELY stays for this one!!!

stellie93 likes this.
  3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it was surprisingly good. They have that early Castle dynamic, with enough differences (gender switch, actor instead of writer, PI instead of cop, LA instead of NY) that it doesn't feel like a clone. And a good reason for them to stick together after the first case.

4. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    Good effort out of the gate. Nice banter between the two leads. Bilson's character's fearlessly and stubbornly jumping into one potentially dangerous life-threatening situation after another gives me a little pause, but not that much at the moment.

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

Advertisements

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I must not’ve been in the right mood for this. I like both leads, but I didn’t think they had great chemistry. I’ll give it another shot next week.

lparsons21 likes this.
  7. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    It was good enough to give it another shot. Lots of cliches, tropes, etc. But overall decent chemistry. Did anyone else think the main guy (the PI) sounded like Jon Hamm?

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    It was OK. As someone else mentioned, I didn't think they had a lot of chemistry and I could do without the female lead. Her acting skills lead a bit to be desired, but I'll watch a few more for now.

9. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Actually I like the female lead, and yes, I did think Jon Hamm, although I didn't like him nearly that well.

BrettStah likes this.
  10. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yeah, she was better than the male lead, IMHO. I liked how she would get excited when something she did on her show actually worked in real life.

MikeCC and stellie93 like this.
  11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't know about that. Is Sam going to give up trying to get an acting job? Now that she's not shadowing Eddie for a potential role, does that mean that she's going to have to get a PI license? Is Eddie going to make her a partner in the agency?

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My point is that for the moment, Sam doesn't have a career and has suddenly found something more fulfilling, and while Eddie's career is suddenly booming that's only because he's with Sam. So they both have every reason to go past the first case.

Where they go from there is an open question. (Well, not really; they have to stick together or there's no show. But the writers will have to come up with in-show reasons for the relationship to work long-term, and I think the short-term fix they've come up with is WAY better than "Castle is buddies with the mayor.")

13. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I loves me Rachel Bilson.

Eddie Cibrian? Eh. not so much. I always found him kind of wooden.

Still, Bilson's energy and smile give me a reason to continue watching. I figure from time to time, Sam will get an acting job or two. Maybe a guest shot or a short video. Castle continued to write after he paired with Beckett -- although writing is less disruptive to a schedule than an acting job.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No doubt they'll have cases that take place on sets...maybe even sets that she's working.

15. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Oh yeah, kind of like Castle did when they visited a soap opera set.

Maybe they can try a story set on a show similar to Hart of Dixie. With enough of the inside jokes and winks that Marlowe is not afraid to use.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was meh. Seems typical ABC light drama fluff (in the Shonda Rhymes mode). Hunky male PI meets cute female actress/wanna be PI. Let the sexual tension begin (because WE ALL KNOW eventually they are gonna "do" it). Acting was so so. Chemistry really wasn't there. Never watched Castle so maybe I'm missing something. Felt more like a poor imitation of the Rob Lowe comedy on Fox a couple of years ago that was really funny...where the TV lawyer tries to be a real lawyer in his brother's law firm). Giving it another episode or two, but don't have high hopes with this one.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  17. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    except Rob Lowe wasn't gonna try to bang Kevin Arnold.

LlamaLarry and Steveknj like this.
  18. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, to be fair, we don’t know what the plot of season 2 would’ve been.

19. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Good enough for some light summer fare.

I did find it a bit cliché, but not terrible.

It stays for now.

ADG and BrettStah like this.
  20. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    That's a more succinct version of my thoughts on it.

ADG likes this.