Take tivo to beach?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DrewTivo, Aug 23, 2007.

1. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    We're renting a beach house in a couple of weeks. It has cable.

Any reason I can't take my tivo?

1) I won't lose anything already recorded, right?

2) If I program in the new zip code, it can download programming info there and even record, right?

3) Since I have two boxes, none of this will affect my MSD terms, right?

2. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Should work just fine. Providing it has a phone line or Broadband

1) No
    2) Yes
    3) No

3. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    Right, right and right. Just make sure you have wireless internet or a phone line there too, depending on how you are getting your downloads.

4. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    If you know the zip code and possibly the tv lineup, you can set this up BEFORE you go so you won't need a connection.

-if there is no connection there, you will only have up to 2 weeks of guide data

5. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    I'm also assuming that you have a Series 1 or Series 2, not Series 3. Moving a system with CableCards would be harder.

6. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    I actually thought of doing that. We've stayed in the house before, and there was only one phone jack. Supposedly they've added wireless internet, but I'm not sure I want to go through setting it all up with tivo for a week.

So far as I can recall there's no cable converter--just a coax (but that could make for problems if it's a converter--I have series 2).

Basically this is for my daughter, who has a few favorite tv shows that come on at inconvenient times.

7. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Mike's suggestion looks like the way to go. Clean and simple. Even if you do show up and a converter box has been added, you can probably still go direct to the coax from the wall and just not get the digital channels.

8. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    When I've stayed at beach or rental houses, often the local calls are free and any long distance calls require a calling card. So if you're going to be using a phone line, be sure that you can make the call. I don't think TiVo supports using a calling card.

9. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    Mike's suggestion sounds good to me. Set it up for your destination before you leave.

10. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Don't forget to set up the new network season passes. Stuff on NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX won't record using the old season passes. They are triggered off the call letters of the local affiliate. Keep the old ones -- they are harmless. Delete the new ones you made when you get back home.

The cable channel season passes will adjust automatically. So should wishlists.

11. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    We all must be truly addicted to our tivos, when we are trying to figure how to watch TV at the beach :up: :)

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I went for just one week and pulled some shows to my laptop instead. TV was more for my Wife and I in the evenings we chilled so watching the laptop was no biggie for the two of us. Plus the TV was a 19 inch piece of junk anyway.
    I read two books during other times I might be watching TV if at home

13. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    If you have a second Tivo and you receive a MSD, I wonder if Tivo will flag the account if they noticed the change in zipcode for only one tivo on the account. On the other hand, do they flag different points of origin for the daily call for an account? If that is the case, maybe you update the zipcode at home, force a call to update the guide, check SP & todo list, and don't make a daily call for the weeks time.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Not for that long. They tend not to location check, and may not flag it for the typical vacation.

15. jimmyk

jimmyk Member

Apr 15, 2002
    When we had our second child, my wife had a c-section. I stayed with her and the baby for the 4 day recovery period. Since we were up all hours with the baby, and live TV is very boring at 4am she asked if I could bring the Tivo in :)

I went home, plugged in the zip code for the hopital and the cable TV type. Tivo updated all of the guide data and when I plugged it in at the hospital it worked like a champ!

We got to catch up on movies and SP shows. IT was also great being able to hit pause whenever anyone came in to check her or the baby.

The doctor came in and said "Tivo - Cool! Great idea!" The Nurses thought it was cool to!

16. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005

That was my wife's reaction to the plan . . . I'm not sure it's worth doing, but I tend to think it is. First off, it provides guide data so if we want to watch we know what's on. Second, my daughter likes to get up early. If we can bore her with tv for a few minutes in the morning, we get some extra rest. Third, we're going to watch tv some anyway, so it might as well be on tivo!

17. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    And report back on how it worked out! :)