Take the Money and Run 9/6/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wendiness1, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1 of 14
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    The guy bringing the case of beer to The Dugout was just priceless.

I don't know why I get such joy out of the "we are seasoned investigators and our tactics are brilliant" having their little trick fail.

If the detectives had had just an hour or so more, I believe they would have found the case. The contestants didn't hide it so that it was unfindable; it was simply a matter of time.

It seems like ruses such as buying items or parking tickets are pretty quickly dismissed. I wonder if this buying things strategy might work if they bought a group of odd, seemingly unrelated items at a hardware store that might make the detectives overwork their imaginations trying to figure out the relationship; i.e.: paint brush, three bolts, washers and nuts, a piece of PVC pipe.

2. Sep 7, 2011 #2 of 14
    Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    Even a shovel and a bag of mulch would be pretty funny.

3. Sep 7, 2011 #3 of 14
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's sort of what they tried to do last week.

4. Sep 8, 2011 #4 of 14
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    except they purhased obvious things like rope, cooler, etc. Pretty obvious what they had in mind (other than a ruse). I was suggesting buying odd things and letting the detectives scratch their heads for a while.

5. Sep 8, 2011 #5 of 14
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This seemed like the week where the EPs started to incorporate the network's notes. The rules were explained more clearly, the detectives explained their motivations more, and they were more in the face of the contestants. I'm with you, Wendi: I loved seeing their Dugout trick fail, and I actually found it a little sleazy that they're allowed to impersonate the contestants on their cell phones. They're really starting to paint themselves with the villain brush, and I sincerely hope they fail each time.

Something else had to be going on in their interrogations with the woman. No way does she give up that much that easily about the Lincoln Park off-ramp. It just made no sense whatsoever.

I'm a little surprised contestants haven't employing counter tactics against the in-cell interrogations, i.e. standing up on the bed to retain the upper hand. If it were me, I'd probably urinate on the floor around the door/bed area and spread fecal matter around to make it as uncomfortable for the interrogators as possible, and I'm serious when I express my surprise that no one's tried it yet. I wonder if there's a specific prohibition against this.

6. Sep 8, 2011 #6 of 14
    Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was actually thinking that this was the original pilot episode. Everything seemed just a little off - no beans+milk meals - everything was over-explained - Mary's hair was much shorter and makeup was a bit off - the big "reveal" wasn't the contestants taking the detectives to the hiding location - the "spy guy" brought the case in :confused: and a few other things here and there.

Edited to add: Ah yes, I see this was production code #101 that ABC aired out of order for some reason.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #7 of 14
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Why on earth would they make a rule against spreading **** around a cell on a national prime-time TV show? I can't imagine. ;)

I wonder if the detectives were really as close to finding it as they made it out.

The big question for me still is how much time do the contestants have to prepare for this. Do they know weeks ahead of time that they'll be on the show. How far in advance do they know the rules? Location?

8. Sep 9, 2011 #8 of 14
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I agree -- I also thought this was the pilot episode for the same reasons you mentioned, as well as the fact that the male model who cuffs the case to the wrist at the beginning didn't explain about the recorded message.

I enjoyed the Dugout ruse.

I'm liking this show ... not loving, but liking.

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You must have missed last week's episode... :)

10. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Was this show canceled? I haven't seen any episodes in my Now Playing list since this one. :confused:

11. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Apparantly the first season was only 6 episodes. No word on a second season yet.

12. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I always wondered if a second season would work. After the first season you pretty much have a blueprint to how to beat them.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, summer reality show.. There's been a lot of them the past ~10 years.

I would've said an analogous thing about "Undercover Boss", but somehow that show had a second season (IIRC, a _few_ of the episodes were leftovers from the first production season, but not all).. and IIRC, they're making more.

14. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    The difference is that this is a game, you apply to be on it so you probably have knowledge of it, as opposed to undercover boss where the workers don't sign up prior to it being filmed.