Tag lines for movie descriptions??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TonyCat81, May 14, 2011.

1. TonyCat81

TonyCat81 New Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Why is TiVo now using tag lines for movie descriptions on the guide? For example, the movie She's Out of My League. Rather than a description of the movie it says "How can a 10 go for a 5". Not a big deal, but kinda dumb in my opinion. Why the change?

2. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Weird, I had just noticed this myself for another movie - instead of description (which isn't always the best anyway) - it basically just had the old advert tagline. Not that I blame TiVo really since they just buy the metadata from Tribune. But I hope this isn't the start of a trend...cost cutting on Tribune's part perhaps?

3. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    Saw this tonight in our guide data. Do Not Like!

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The ones I checked all had descriptions. I don't have She's Out Of My League in the guide since I must not subscribe to that channel.

If you find a movie on Epix, HDNET, or Showtime I would be curious if I am seeing the same thing.

5. TonyCat81

TonyCat81 New Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Not too many on Showtime. But check out The Back-up Plan on Showtime tomorrow morning at 10:00 CST. I'm just glad I'm not crazy and other people are noticing this.

6. TonyCat81

TonyCat81 New Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Or even on FX....Black Knight, 6am tomorrow

7. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah I am seeing it also. It is also the same way on TiVo.com and the iPad App.

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This is ridiculous. The guide data in general is looking like crap. Not only the taglines, but I'm also seeing "Music by (composer)" on some movies instead of a description. A lot of the other movies that do have info, insert the actors names in the description when their character is mentioned. i.e. "A police officer (Denzel Washington)..."

War Stories on FNC has this "A combat decorated Marine delivers stories of war. Episode information to be announced."

Did Tivo decide to get the Economy level of Guide Data? The descriptions on TvGuide and Zap2it are both correct.

9. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Looks like someone reported/tweeted it to TiVoDesign last night.

She said it is an error and is going to look into it.

10. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Cool, thanks for the update.

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The description for Easy A (on Starz Saturday night) was "Let's not and say we did" and a lot of other shows had equally limited data. It was exactly the same on zap2it, so I don't blame TiVo. I hope TMS gets their act toghether.

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Great! We can expect a fix in roughly 2013 then? ;)

13. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    Yes, and it'll only work on the new TiVo Premier DoublePlus Series 9 box. ;)

14. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    Well here's my problem. Aren't we paying for this information? A stupid tag line does not help me decide if I want to watch a movie or not.
    This does not help me one bit.

15. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yes and TiVo is paying Tribune for the information among multiple other supplemental data providers from what I remember.

TiVo merely compiles the data from various sources and passes it on. It seems like there might be an issue with the data TiVo is getting so TiVo would have to go back to the source.

As others have noticed, zap2it.com is also displaying the same thing on for some of their shows on their site. Zap2it is an extension of Tribune.

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I wonder if the tag line is a new field they've added to the metadata for movies, and it's just a mistake that it's being used in place of the description?

I noticed last night that a movie I recorded some time ago now has the tag line description. I'm sure it had a full description when I recorded it.

17. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    This is my thinking also. For example if you go to zap2it the listings now include the tagline next to the air times like it is treating it like the episode name.

18. Navihawk

Navihawk New Member

May 18, 2011
    Well, silly me; I started another thread on this very topic, not knowing it had already been discussed (tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8525479#post8525479). But, it's nice to know I'm not the only one that's noticed this, and also nice to know that there may be a fix for it on the way.

One thing I mentioned in my post that wasn't brought up here is the strange "genre-mashing"; e.g., a movie described as "Action, Track and Field". What's that all about?

19. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Here's my theory: this kind of description has always been there, but it's intended for use in physical newpaper listings where there's almost no room for anything. I've seen papers that give brief, allusive descriptions like this. The error must be that these are being sent to the TiVo, etc, destinations, instead of the proper descriptions.

20. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I would probably say if you come across specific examples it would be helpful to post it in the thread. It might help TiVo or tribune narrow it down since it doesn't seem to affect every show or movie.