Tablet choice for streaming from my Bolt ..

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by xberk, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Mar 8, 2019 #1 of 23
    xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011

Advertisements

I'm new to the world of Streaming "out of the home" .. I got the Tivo App up and running on an old iPad, set it up at my house picking my new Bolt from the list, took it over to my neighbor's and got it to work there too .. now I want to buy a more updated Tablet to use on trips but not spend too much .. Will this Amazon Fire 8 HD be ok? Opinions anyone?

Amazon Fire HD 8

2. Mar 8, 2019 #2 of 23
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    The Fire HD 8 is fairly sluggish and doesn’t come with the Google Play Store though that can be added. It is so cheap for a reason.
    It is designed to do Amazon stuff and just a little more. I have played Amazon Prime streams on it and it ok for that so I suspect it might be good enough once you got a stream going. I’ll kick mine up and do a quick check with in home streaming from TiVo which should be a decent test as I have very good up and down speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. Mar 8, 2019 #3 of 23
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Ok. Found that there is a TiVo app in the Amazon App Store. Installed it and it does work fine in home so it should work fine out of home as long as your internet up speed is good enough. Note that the app is sluggish getting things going, but once started the streaming is fine.

jrtroo and Mikeguy like this.
  4. Mar 8, 2019 #4 of 23
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Good luck. Streaming to all my android devices is very hit & miss, plus some stupid "certificate" seems to expire twice as often as I try to stream anything and I always have to re-sign in, re-choose which tivo to stream from, etc. Sometimes I feel it takes longer to get the stream going than it does to watch the whole program (assuming it continues to function for the duration of the whole program).

5. Mar 8, 2019 #5 of 23
    xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011

Advertisements

Thanks lparsons21 Speeds are good at home (200 download, 20 or so upload) .. can't say about speeds at all travel destinations but one destination is my daughters house and speeds are good there.I didn't realize that Amazon even had an app store .. learning new stuff all the time. ThankS!!

6. Mar 8, 2019 #6 of 23
    xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Hmmmmm ... are you saying an iOS device would be preferred?

7. Mar 8, 2019 #7 of 23
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    No idea, I have no iOS devices, I just know it is fantastically unreliable on my android devices. This is streaming from my Roamio, maybe Bolts are better at it.

8. Mar 8, 2019 #8 of 23
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    If it were me and the cost wasn’t a big issue, I would pick an iPad of any size over any Android tablet. They just perform better IMO. To save a bit, look at Apple’s refurbished products. Same warranty as new and everything I’ve ever gotten from them looked and performed as well as new.

9. Mar 8, 2019 #9 of 23
    xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I think Bolt's are better at streaming .. but I have little experience "outside the home" .. Inside the home, the Bolt streaming is excellent for me using an old iPad 2. I have never tried to stream from a Roamio.

10. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I guess I could use my iPad 2 .. but its so heavy I hate to travel with it. I'm thinking of testing out the Fire and seeing how it performs vs the iPad 2 .. I can always just send back the Fire if it doesn't work out. The cheapest refurb iPad sold directly from Apple right now is $239 .. more than I wanted to spend and likely bigger and heavier than I wanted too.

11. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I just found I have an old iPad Mini MD529L/A .. It's running i0S 9.3.5 .. size and weight are better for my need .. I'll see if the app will load and run .. I think these things are no longer getting i0S updates but maybe it will do what I need.

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I had that same mini but never tried the TiVo streaming on it. For info, even that old Mini was a bit less sluggish than the HD 8. I’ve since replaced it with a Mini 4 and it works superbly for everything.
    I use my HD8 as one of my ereaders. Works well, but is sluggish in operation. Good screen and is definitely light, maybe even lighter than my iPad mini 4.

13. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks. The old Mini iPad works "in home" .. I'll test it later "out of home" ..

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Glad to hear that. It should be fine since if the streaming in home works, out of home should work with the 200/20 speed you have as long as the wifi where you're at is also good.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

15. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    One point. Can you setup for "out of home" for more than one Bolt? I have two Bolts. I'd like access to them both while "out of home" ?

16. thomb

thomb Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    Working great so far on my ancient Samsung Galaxy Tab S and 2 refurbished Bolts. And I travel all the time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

17. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    No mater the hardware used.... TiVo remote viewing is a gamble at best. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it will not. I've tried my iPad , new Samsung tablet and my Android phone remotely... All have issues. My current work around is to RDP into a computer @ home and run a TiVo app to watch tv. Video suxs... but works. Most of the time, I'm watching news while working.

Purchased an Amazon Fire TV Recast today (on sale.) This will be my first step to cord cutting, but for now, remote viewing will be its primary use.

TiVo remote viewing is like owning an exotic car. Great when it works, but spends more time in the shop or only running when it wants too.

As I've said before... Dish is the only one that has a great remote viewing product.

18. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    >> TiVo remote viewing is a gamble at best.

I'll find out tomorrow or the next day. Planning to test several different devices away from home.

>> Dish is the only one that has a great remote viewing product.

Not an option for me.

19. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Remember.. Your TiVo will only allow a single connection @ a time. Good luck.....

20. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Got the Amazon Fire HD 8 .. it setup very easily. Installed the Tivo app found in the Amazon App store .. went smoothly and works fine, so far, for "in home" ... I will test later for "out of home" ..