TA Problem Freezes Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rahnbo, Sep 15, 2015.

1. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC

Advertisements

This is the second time in a week I've noticed a TA problem totally locking me out of the Premier requiring a reboot. It has occurred once on each Premier (I have 2). Mainly posting to see if anyone else is seeing this?

To set up the scenario for what happened this time since I didn't put much thought in to it the first time...
    8pm - 9pm Record Big Brother (OK)
    8pm - 10pm Record AGT (OK until I reboot it at 9:20 PM)
    9pm - 10pm Record Inside the NFL (failed with error R105/Unknown problem)

I had the TV turned off until about 9:10pm when I came across the error in the screen shot. It appears that it did its 1 minute warning thing before 9pm and then at 9pm encountered the TA problem. Both red recording lights were on. So in the screenshot you can see both messages on the screen but the warning that it was to change tuners should have gone away at 9pm. Also note at the top of the shot multiple horizontal columns of lines. I've never seen that before except when the other Premier had the same issue within the past week. I'm not sure why history gave a R105/Unknown error since it clearly knew the TA was having a problem. Anyway, rebooted it and all seems well. Was able to tune in the Showtime channel that failed.
    [​IMG]

2. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Have you rebooted the TA?

Power both units down (unplug),
    Leave both coaxial cables attached,
    Leave the CC plugged in,
    Disconnect the USB cable from the TA,
    Power the TA back up and wait for a sold green LED,
    Power the recorder back up, wait for the CC to acquire it's data,
    Connect the USB cable, wait for the system to load the channel data.

It seems the key with the TA (assuming it's a Cisco STA120) is, letting the TA do it's thing w/o the recorder connected, then let the recorder see the adapter in a ready state. I have has 3 CSR's basically say the same thing.

See if any of that works.

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. Yes, when I say that I rebooted in my OP I mean I rebooted everything. It is all plugged in to the same UPS so two button presses and everything gets powered down then brought back up in working order. The other individual steps might be something I'd try if I were trying to troubleshoot a more frequent issue during a time where I could mess around with it more. The intent of the post was to see if others were seeing the same issue.

4. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    As an aside I also noticed that Bright House has yet again added a ton of channels then shortly thereafter deleted them. This might have had something to do with it or was just a coincidence. No idea but it does seem every summer Bright House does that and it seems to be followed by some off the wall Tivo issue.

5. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY

Advertisements

Powering up everything at once is risky, especially if you have problems. Same goes for a Cable Modem & Router. Modem first, then router. ;)