T63 Error, and Roamio Pro w/lifetime no longer activated.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dougdingle, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Feb 2, 2018 #1 of 12
    dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

I turn on the TV last night, and find my Roamio mostly non-functional. I can watch a single channel, no Info, no Guide, no Season's Passes, no ToDo list. Hitting the Guide button brings up a screen that says the TiVo is not activated (Error T63), and to try connecting a few times, which I do, no change.

The System info page says I have lifetime, with status "A:-". The only thing the box will do is play back already recorded material (aside form showing me that one channel).

Several reboots and connects later, no change.

Now here's the weird part: All four of my connected Minis continue to mostly work. I have all tuners/channels available, and can witch live TV or playback, but there, too, no todo list, no season passes.

I go onto the TiVo site to activate my already activated Roamio, and the site says the box is already activated. The site does show my recorded programs, guide, one passes, but when I look for my todo list, it says "Check your device's network connection". The network connection seems to be fine. I even changed from wired to wireless and used my phone as a hotspot to have a completely different network connection, and no difference.

Is it dead? I would be seriously annoyed if it was dead, losing more than 200 shows and movies.

Any suggestions? An old thread (I don't remember where I saw it) suggested that the problem was that TiVo's servers misidentified the box and loaded the wrong software onto it, but I don't see what I can do about that when repeated connects don't fix it.

2. Feb 2, 2018 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sounds like a call to CS will be needed.

In SI, what software version and date of last service connection?

3. Feb 2, 2018 #3 of 12
    dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Can't check it at the moment - not home.

Have you had TiVo 'repair' a box for you? Do they keep the same serial number (so your shows remain intact), or do they send you a refurb and you start over?

4. Feb 2, 2018 #4 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have had a box replaced a few years ago. No problems but it was new and bought from TiVo.

Search found this as the only result -> Error T63 TiVo service no longer available

5. Feb 3, 2018 #5 of 12
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

How many TiVo's are on your account page at TiVo.com?

6. Feb 3, 2018 #6 of 12
    dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    So I put an older drive in there, one that was configured and married to the Roamio, and once I connected to the service a couple of times to bring things current, it works fine. So it's the current drive that's the problem, not the Roamio.

The older drive I put in there was current as of mid-November, so I suppose losing 10 weeks of recordings is better than losing them all. Still, I'd love to figure out how to fix the current drive.

I did call CS, who went through the checklist, then said I should force a bunch of connects for the next 48 hours, and if things don't clear up, I'll have to replace the Roamio. I'm not going to do that (replace the box). But I will force a bunch of connects, see if I can get it to come out of its stupor.

7. Feb 3, 2018 #7 of 12
    dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I have one lifetime Roamio Plus, four A93 Minis, and a very old S3 HD box that I sold more than a year ago whose lifetime service I successfully transferred to the buyer, but which Tivo never removed from my account page.

Why do you ask?

8. Feb 3, 2018 #8 of 12
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    The number of TiVo's on an account should not exceed 12 (edit). Was just trying to eliminate a potential problem,

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    dougdingle likes this.
  9. Feb 4, 2018 #9 of 12
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Isn't that number 12?

Scott

rdrrepair likes this.
  10. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
  11. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    For anyone following this, I gave up. I had a three month old backup drive, and managed to pull most of the shows (the ones not copy protected) off the 'unactivated' drive onto the old one via my computer, and that was that. As a side note, it seems had this been a Hydra system, I could not have done that (I think).

I actually called TiVo support who went through the usual checklist of "try this, try that", then told me I'd have to send the box in for an exchange. I asked if my shows would be preserved if I did that, and was told 'probably', but didn't believe him. Also, I have a 4TB drive in there, which is unsupported. So I took the path of 'most labor but least resistance'.

I am grateful to the developers of kmttg (used to pull the shows from the 'unactivated' drive onto my computer) and pytivo (used as a server to then pull the shows from computer onto the older drive). This would have been a lot harder (if not impossible) without their hard work.

Also, as always, to jmbach who listened to my whining and gave constructive suggestions on things to try.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Hydra can still download shows. There's just no upload capability at the moment (and maybe never).

It's interesting that you were able to download even in it's "unactivated" state.

Scott