T3 only gives TiVo 4 out of 5

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Major dude, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Here we go again with TiVo being mismarketed in the UK once more.
    This time it is the price point that is the problem and the lack of availability as even the T3 test team claim they did not have the TiVo long enough on test to fully appreciate it.

How long will it take for TiVo to be fully appreciated in the UK for what it is?
    Maybe the 500gb TiVo will do it as the right product at the right price at the right time.

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Not sure I wouldn't give it only 4/5 at the moment! It's still a pass :)

While it is certainly better that anything on the mass-market right now, it's still not perfect. Just check-out the "bugs" sticky for a start ;)

3. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Not read the review but seems off to mark something down based on availability and not having long enough to test it?

I'm finding a lot of 'gadget' review sites are getting to be quite baised on reviews now, Gadget show is one of the worst as surprise surprise Apple products mostly always win any crazy tests they do.

4. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    I'd be more inclined to give it 3/5 - complicated user interface, poor upscaling and expensive! Now somewhat anachronistic, TiVo should have come a long way in 10 years - it hasn't. Apart from two tuners and HD (shared by several PVRs nowadays) the software offers little more than it did with the series 1 model.

5. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    Apple has the UI sorted - that's often why they win these tests. The UI is so important - TiVo just doesn't do it for me, the UI is confusing and complicated.

6. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Call it iTiVo and people would be queueing up for it.

Prefix anything with an i and its a kids must buy.

7. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    So, if the TiVo was renamed iTiVo you reckon none of the TiVo evangelists would buy it? Wouldn't that suggest a degree of superficiality?

How odd!

IMO Apple have it right with the Human Interface - it is a big issue! Give an iPhone to a non-techie and they can use all the features within a short time. Give them a Sony Ericsson or a Nokia smart phone and they will either not use several features or be reaching for the manual. I have witnessed this with real people time and time again.

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Which only goes to show how advanced the S1 really was :D
    No. He said nothing of the sort. Try reading it again.

9. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    No - adding i to the beginning of the name seems to make people buy it because people buy things because its the new 'i' product. Doesn't matter if it works correctly or is of any use to them.

Look at my iphone they say - what does it do that you other phone doesn't and you needed - nothing but its an iphone.

Just like FiloFax years ago - everybody had one because - everybody had one.

10. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    But they gave Sky HD 5/5, so although I agree VM TiVo is far from perfect it is still in a different class as compared with Sky HD.

11. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  12. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    So, according to your argument, Apple sold more iBooks than MacBooks? Patently not true!

So, you wouldn't like TiVo to succeed in the way Apple has? Why knock Apple? Haven't they overtaken Microsoft in terms of company value?

13. Halifax81

Halifax81 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Cardiff
    4 out of 5 is not that bad, I for sure would not rate 5 out of 5 just yet, yes its a massive step up from my old V+ box but until some of the suggestions in this forum are acted on it will in my opinion be 4 out of 5 for some time to come

14. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    :confused:

You seem to have made up lot of comments I never made I have never knocked Apple.

My point is many people (many non-techies) buy things based on names and not what the product is or does - although it may still be good.

I see no difference in picture quality of SD channels between V+ and TiVo - yet both are not as good as my Sky box. Perhaps the problem here is not with the product but the source? TiVo had 3HD tuners.

The price is comparable to that of SkyHD (although TiVO is not yours) - yet it will be replaced free of charge if it goes wrong at anytime during its lifetime - something Sky will not offer as I have found before.

And reviews my mags and websites are often not to be taken seriously - as the publisher often have good relationships with companies which they must never criticise. I’ve been in media a long time and have been told that my comments can not be used even though they are true – as our advertisers will not like them.

I've been there - "Product A" is being lent to use for a week to review while its in trials - its rival "Product B" is here and we can keep it (they let us keep all they review items). Now which is the best - even though they are very similar?

Rather then making up comments and attributing them at me why not say what TiVo could now have - which is doesn't which would be allowed in the UK market!

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Oh. Okay. Didn't know about that :confused:

Indeed.

16. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    To give SkyHD 5/5 - I guess you would have to be given the box for free, along with a free lifetime sub to all channels - and be biased.

I don't think I've seen a HD PVR that could have 5/5 yet - but perhaps TiVo and/or SkyHD could do it when the software is right.

TiVo has got a lot of things planned - I think the current SkyHD unit is now at the end of its development.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Well, for all the shortcomings of the Sky interface, Sky is significantly cheaper and comes with more channels. The interface isn't the only factor for a reviewers to take into account.

And 4/5 is a good score.

18. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Sky is cheaper to start with - but in 2 years time when you have to buy another box due to faulta it isn't quite so cheap.

The number of channels is the 'biggy' - especially for HD sports fans.

19. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    Heck, what a magazine reviewer thinks of it is immaterial. It is a subjective test, pulling up the prejudices of the writer, and possibly modified by whether they got to keep the kit if they said 'nice things' about it. The branding of the magazine or publisher carries no additional kudos, so whether it is Wired, Gadget Show, Which? Or whatever, it is only the reviewer's Mother that would/should take it as gospel.

The rest of us need to treat it with the contempt it deserves, unless it matches our own experiences.

20. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Very cynical. Reviewers don't get to keep the hardware, and they have a big advantage over you or I in that they have actually used all the options in anger. They go to great lengths to avoid subjectivity or bias.