System updates a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nickels, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 #1 of 26
    nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I remember when I got my S2 TiVo how awesome it was almost every year you'd turn on the TiVo to find it was upgraded with a ton of fixes and new features. Wow, what a company - very impressive how my hardware/software/interface got better over time and problems were addressed! Incredible!!!

Fast Forward to 2011:
    http://dvrpedia.com/TiVo_software_version_history\

My ancient TiVo HD has never been updated or it was so long ago I can't even remember what it did? What happened? It isn't like my TiVo is so perfect it can't use some tweaks. I guess you get what you get now-a-days, and the only way to get improvements is to constantly buy new hardware. :(

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

2. Apr 4, 2011 #2 of 26
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    An update was just released in February of this year for the Series 3 platform.

3. Apr 4, 2011 #3 of 26
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Exactly why I was telling people to not count on updates to fix things that are wrong on the Premiere. Sure, you might get a fix for something that prevents the product from working, but don't count on getting something new. Those days are long gone. If P users are lucky they'll get a finished HD UI. I doubt they'll ever see the dual core functionality until the next generation of hardware.

4. Apr 4, 2011 #4 of 26
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    .... to version 11.0k. Check you system info.

5. Apr 4, 2011 #5 of 26
    orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    :confused:
    Wrong thread? The OP was talking about the TiVo HD, not Premiere.

6. Apr 4, 2011 #6 of 26
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    That extraneous backslash at the end of your URL breaks it, at least for me (Firefox 3.6.16). (I have to manually remove it.)

The updates come a few times a year... but it seems that the Series 2 is abandoned now, and the Series 3 nearly so. I thought for sure that the U.S. Series 3's would at least be brought up to the level of their Aus/NZ counterparts, which run 11.3 and support transport streams for TTG. But now I'm thinking 11.0[letter] is all we'll get, with few or no new features.

Edit: The dvrpedia.com page hasn't been kept up to date; the latest Series 3 software is 11.0k, not 11.0c.

7. Apr 4, 2011 #7 of 26
    nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I was talking about the company in general more then any specific model. They used to be innovative and ahead of the curve with this technology. They don't seem to care about fixing or improving anything but the hardware these days.

8. Apr 4, 2011 #8 of 26
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I guess my point was that unless the product has what you want when you buy it to not expect things to be added in the future. Didn't used to be the case with TiVo, but has been since the S3 came out. :)

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 26
    orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    TiVo has released (an unprecedented?) 6 software updates for the Premiere in the past year. How is that not caring?

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    My Series 2 is working without updates. I just use it to record shows when I want to record a third show at the same time my Series 3 is recording 2 shows.

11. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    The next release (which supports the whole home DVR and extenders, though these are S4-based and not really a "next generation of hardware") appears to include dual-core support in addition to the long awaited streaming. It certainly has been a long time coming though, and hopefully it's worth the wait.

12. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    What? :confused:

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    That's nice. Mine's "broken"... in that it hasn't received even simple updates (e.g., play a folder) that the S3 has, where the restriction is clearly not due to hardware limitations. Oh, but they got right on the pause bar ads, yessir; they didn't let that one slide. That's the last thing that got added to it.

I cite the folder play because it's trivial, but really, they ought to have updated the S2 to do HME video streaming, even if it can only do MPEG-2. And why not let it have network remote support? Etc., etc.

14. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Color me disappointed too. Amazon streaming? Not for TiVo, but for every other Amazon-enabled device...

Multi-room viewing? Restricted to ~8 channels if you have Time Warner.
    TiVo Search? Slow as snot and useless.
    Netflix? They're still fixing it
    Integration with cable company's On-Demand? Yea right.

But the real reason I don't recommend TiVos anymore? Cable cards and Tuning Adapters. Such a cluster f*ck of a "solution" to the problem and a huge headache for everyone.

But they brought back Lifetime service. AFTER I paid for the privilege to transfer it from an old (but still working) S1 to my new shiny $800 S3. Then they came out with the HDs at half the price a few months later. Now they're practically giving the Premieres away.

But I'm not bitter. My TiVos do exactly what they said they would do, just nothing more. They reliably record my TV shows. Well, unless the Tuning Adapter goes funky and the TiVo has to be rebooted.

But I'm also NOT jumping on the Premiere bandwagon. That's clearly a version 1.0 product and TiVo has proven time and again that their first releases are not worth using.

I'm also not paying TiVo any more money. Both my TiVos have lifetime subs and the second one I got second-hand.

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Don't blame Tivo for that. Blame the cable companies, who half-assed CableCard in the first place.

I can understand people being frustrated with TA, but CableCard works fine for me with FiOS.

16. djl25

djl25 C64 hacker

May 26, 2005
    Providence, RI
    I assume it's related to the Australian release, but FWIW they have 11.1 listed on their source code page at http://www.tivo.com/linux/index.html. We know they're going to add (limited) iPad support for the Series 3s, so maybe....

17. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    My Series 3 OLED 648 is working very well, and has been for a long time. I think TiVo has all the major bugs out of it. Future software will be to support new streaming partners, if the Series 3 can handle them. So, I don't think there is a great need for the updates, at this point. It is working very well, now. Let's not mess it up. Updates are for necessary fixes.

18. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I would like to have new features but I didn't expect any when I purchased these boxes and don't feel like I am owed any. I am following the progress with the Premiere to see how well TiVo is doing but based on my experience, Series 3 models are solid and TiVo did a great job. The company must move on and devote its limited resources to the Series 4 models now.

19. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I agree. People should stop bashing cable cards. There are only 3 ways for a third party DVR to work with cable. Infared blasters, integrated software or cable cards. The cable co's (except for a few) were leary to let TiVo on to their boxes and infared blasters are a joke. Cable cards are godsend.

20. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I was thinking the same thing today. I was looking at bill CC bill with two TiVo charges on it with no multi unit discount (I have a Premiere) and thinking back to when I use to recommend TiVo to everyone I would meet. I would tell them that I don't mind the monthly fees because every few months the TiVo gets better. New features and tweaks to UI are constantly rolled out. Well that was a long time and and many Tivos ago. It's too bad Apple never got in to the DVR market.