System message 25/5/11

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by johala_reewi, May 26, 2011.

1. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Got a system message saying that Tivo will soon cease to function. This seems a bit more menacing than the recent, Tivo VM is coming messages. Does this mean they are going to brick the S1 boxes on 1st June?

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    It does sound that way...

We will know in...

3. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    In case your Tivo is talking to another service or you've put it in a box.
    Still undecided what to do with ours - technically its redundant but its still currently recording away and I keep finding family members using it in preference to the MCE kit :)
    Might put it on the AltEPG for the kid to use.

4. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    Withdrawing the EPG is one thing, sending some form of 'kill' signal to the box is something else. Such a denial of service attack on users equipment could be construed as a criminal act and leave TiVo Inc, and possibly Virgin Media, open to prosecution for criminal damage. People here who wanted to sue someone would have a field day and it would only require one TiVo box owner to make a formal complaint to the Police to start an investigation (you could probably include Virgin for 'collusion to commit a criminal act'). Think of the paperwork involved, never mind the publicity!

5. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    :D

You can't cause criminal damage to a computer by modifying its data. The relevant statute would be the Computer Misuse Act but even here you would be on shaky ground as the proprietory rights to the software belong with TiVo.

6. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    They modified the software so that it continued to work a manual recorder without a sub many years ago, but interestingly for the legally minded, as it was sold it was a brick if you let the sub lapse.

But they don't have to brick it; the clock drifts quite badly IIRC and without the daily call to correct it it would only be a matter of weeks before it was unusable as a manual recorder.

7. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    So if I hack into your PC and wipe the contents of the HDD and make it inoperable I am not going to be prosecuted? Fair enough, what's your IP address? Also fresh hope for the Crouch End computer hacker Gary McKinnon then.

TiVo Inc sold us the rights to use their software/IP in perpetuity when we bought the box - we can't own the IP but we are licensed to use it. Anything they do to prevent us using that IP would be illegal. Deliberately modifying the boxes to prevent any sort of operation is criminal damage - a bit like snapping the aerial off your car.

8. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    My wife has been using an unsubbed one for a couple of years with no probs

Alek

9. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Does it dial in to set the clock?

10. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    If you say so.

PS http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/criminal_damage/

11. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    Interesting!

12. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Oh, and from the Service Agreement:
    (my emphasis)

13. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Title and ownership doesn't mean the right to withdraw a licence already given.

14. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    It hasn't been connected to a phone line since she started using it.

Alek

15. djqster

djqster New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    But that's exactly what happens when you cancel a TiVo subscription. Although you have two weeks or so of guide data, on your last daily call the TiVo discovers it's unsubbed and then ignores the guide data and nags you to pay TiVo money for it to start working again.

16. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    That's a good point for those hoping to keep it going until the last possible moment with the EPG data after June 1st already downloaded.

17. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    Correct - you cannot own the IPR (unless you specifically buy it) but you can buy the right to use it in perpetuity, which means the vendor cannot pull it whenever they feel like it. I speak as a software vendor who licences a product to major companies and we have to be very careful not to disable the product in any way even if the customer stops paying annual maintenance, for example.

18. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Looks like I may have to change the default gateway on mine on the 30th/31st then until it becomes clear what Tivo intend to do.
    If they turn off the servers we'll presumably get call failed/running out of guide data nags after a few days and clock drift.
    If they set accounts to closed then no more recordings until we set up on AltEPG.

It would just be flipping polite for Tivo to be more open about what happens on the 1st of June.

[edit]
    I've followed up my email from Monday to support about what will happen as their 2 business days have elapsed without a reply. In the auto response they say they won't respond to questions
    That link says
    That I guess indicates that they won't be changing account status but just switching off the dial up POPs and the EPG servers.
    [/edit]