System Message 24/6/11 - TiVo Service Account Closed!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, Jun 24, 2011.

1. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK

Advertisements

Just for completeness here's the message in all it's gory:

Shame they couldn't even be arfed to send a "So long and thanks for all the fish" message as well. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    So plenty of "personalised" Virgin Media advert mesages,
    but the final message is just a standard "account closed"

A simple "thanks for supporting us for 10 years" might've have been better :(

3. speedyrite

speedyrite New Member

May 18, 2002
    Droitwich,...
    So that's it then - THE END!

Well, it was good while it lasted but, since getting a couple of Sky+HD boxes in as a contingency plan, my head has been turned - the HD picture quality is even better than TiVo Best Quality with Mode 0.

Yes, the Sky+HD UI isn't as good as TiVo, but I've seen worse on other machines.

The die is cast here - TiVo S1 UK is old technology and has had it's day - well done to the AltEPG team for getting it up and running, but I'm sorry to say that I won't be converting.

Once the last few hours of recordings on both TiVos have been watched, they will be sent to the TiVo graveyard (together with the TiVo plush doll toy!) with full honours for 10 years of sterling service...

4. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I suspect this is an internally generated message in response to the ServiceState 8 code.

Yes it wouldn't have taken much to send a 'nice' system message first/as well. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

EDIT: Perhaps VM wouldn't let them send a 'nice' message because Pete piffed them off so much with all the letters he has been writing to "the top brass" at Virgin... Not.

5. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West

Advertisements

It is. At least they removed the CS number - that could have caused even more confusion. I expect though this will still take some people by surprise.

I agree that a formal 'end of service' message would have been a decent touch in advance of the account closures. Personally delivered by Joshua Danowitz, of course. ;)

6. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    I hope that's not the local skip ! :eek:

I'm sure there are plenty of tivo users who will collect it from you !

I have plenty of stock of old boxes, but can arrange free courier pickup to save them from the skip....

7. ramtops

ramtops New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    near Bristol

8. speedyrite

speedyrite New Member

May 18, 2002
    Droitwich,...

Just want to re-assure everyone that my TiVos WON'T be sent to the local tip!

Anyway it will be a few weeks yet before we've watched all the backlog...

9. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    I did think at first that it meant that the service could still be continued on this unit.

I saw in another thread that the TiVo is meant to only dialup during certain hours. I'm using the ethernet download at the moment - which does it at any time of day, which obviously I can't use with AltEPG, but how do I get it to only do it during these times? Thanks.

10. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    I'm not sure I follow you - why don't you continue to use ethernet with AltEPG (it is the preferred route)?
    If you do have to switch to dialup there is a script to restrict dialup times over at altepg.com
    Edit : see http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=701

11. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    Thanks for the tivoland link. I mentioned the ethernet thing as I couldn't find it in their FAQ. I was planning to just connect to their service and do a Guided Setup, I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of an image install.

Where does it say if I can use ethernet without doing all that? (I'm not very technically minded in all this so any help appreciated, thanks :))
    http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=670

12. Steve_K

Steve_K Member

May 5, 2001
    Sussex, UK
    Charmless to the end it seems

Ah well all helps the legal case.

As for Sky HD then yes it is so so superior but with it's limited vision of the future schedule has never been that relaiable. And the UI is both clunky and limited. TiVo was (and may still be) an excellent back up recorder. Countless times it saved the day when Sky has forgotten.

13. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
  14. digital_S

digital_S New Member

May 15, 2002
    Kent/Scotlan...
    Shame to those few people who think this is the end... The Alt-Epg team have done a fantastic job in keeping our TiVo from doing its job! :up:

All you need to do is easily change the dialup number and TiVo just carries on recording as if nothing happened! :)

Here's to many more years!!! **raises glass**

True that Sky maybe more superior (i myself have a sky+ hd box) but at the end of the day, sky controls everything you do with it - whereas with TiVo, we control it! [even more, now our accounts aren't connected to TiVo HQ!]

15. speedyrite

speedyrite New Member

May 18, 2002
    Droitwich,...
    It's the end as far as I'm concerned! And I did say "well done to the AltEPG team for getting it up and running" in my original post. Good luck to all who stick with it via AltEPG!

16. Steve_K

Steve_K Member

May 5, 2001
    Sussex, UK
    It's not a total brick, manual recordings still work and the to do list still says it will record the season passes I had - well at least until the EPG runs out. Will report later if it actually does record them

You just can't get to the to do list via the TiVo+2 shortcut

17. Steve_K

Steve_K Member

May 5, 2001
    Sussex, UK
    Update

Well the to do list was a lie. Only manual recordings were recorded (and correctly labelled with the programme title). Othwer recordings did not happen :mad:

18. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    Same here.
    A ToDo list programme that was scheduled for this morning did not record.

So it's Manual Only then?

AltEPG here I come.

19. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
  20. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Is that on a networked TiVo? Have you run the fixsub script?