System Message 20/4/11 - Virgin Media TV, powered by TiVo, is here.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, Apr 21, 2011.

1. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Slightly re-worded version of the last one

Note the "If you live in a cable area" :p

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Perhaps they should say "a Virgin cable area"?

Automan.

3. digital_S

digital_S New Member

May 15, 2002
    Kent/Scotlan...
    I deleted mine straight away!!!

4. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    @Automan
    Obviouly they think that Virgin are the only cable supplier in the UK! :eek:

5. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    At least they seem to have got the message that not everyone can get cable. :(

(I can, but not Virgin!)

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Surely if that was true they wouldn't be planning to leave the 50% of us who can't get a Virgin Media Tivo without Tivo service after 1st June.:eek::mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

7. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    They know perfectly well Pete.

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Then why don't they continue to let us have Tivo service.

Time to get round to starting a few threads over on the US tivocommunity forums I reckon.

9. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I guess when Virgin got an exclusive deal for the UK that signed the death warrant for our Series 1 units.

Automan.

10. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Why do other people get these messages a day or sometimes two before me.

Not that it matters.

Alek

11. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Maybe your service isnt goint to stop until the 3rd June LOL.

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    These system messages don't illuminate the new yellow message waiting icon in the Tivo on screen program banner and they also have a shorter life than ordinary Tivo messages about channel lineup changes plus the Tivo cannot hold more than two of these System Messages at any one time. It can hold a lot more channel lineup change messages than this.

The people who post here are the first to see these messages rather than being typical of when the average Tivo user will see them.

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    What about last minute stays of execution after moving and eloquent speeches on behalf of the condemned party.

I thought they were very keen on this kind of thing across the pond so perhaps there is still hope if we kick up enough fuss.

My advice would be for UK Series 1 owners to start posting on the US Tivocommunity forums and the VirginMedia Tivo forum on the issue as nobody is going to take any interest in the matter in the UK tivocommunity forum sections.

14. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Too late Pete, give it up and move on.

15. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Why worry, we are going to be better of without them

Alek

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    To be frank I think that is an optimist's view. I'm sure some kind of service will be got going after June 1st but I highly doubt that either Suggestions or Wishlists will work anywhere near as well as they did before as I suspect Metadata from the new source will be significantly less comprehensive. I would also expect significantly more in the way of complete server outages for significant periods, at least in the early days.

What Dave, Stuart and the rest of them are trying to do is make sure we still have a working service of some kind. The natural tub thumpers in our midst inevitably tout that it will be better but I suspect that in due course many here will come to realise that Tribune actually did a pretty reasonable job and that most of the frustrations in the product came from inherent hardware design flaws such as being unable to revise start and end times or even swap channels at the last moment due to our Tivos not being able to directly decode the over the air Freeview Freesat or Cable EPG

I am hopeful that something will still be in place after June 1st but those of us who wear rather less rose tinted spectacles in viewing life would undoubtedly expect things to get significantly worse after June 1st before they possibly eventually get better.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    God you can be an arse sometimes Pete.

People are going to great lengths to make sure the metadata etc is at least as good as Tribunes, and as it will correctable by "crowdsourcing" there's every reason to think it will be better. As for dissing server reliability before it's even started, that's "glass three quarters empty" if ever I heard it.

And all you can contribute is negativity and whining.

18. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008

I thought I had been called every name under the Sun.

I don't wear rose coloured glasses. But I do see challenges as opportunities rather than drawbacks or disasters.

An enthusiast working on a problem for the kudos or the kick of solving it or because he believes in it, will often outperform a team of highly paid twats working on it with one eye on the clock, while planning their vacations.

Alek

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Well I have zipped over to the Tivoland forums and looked around what's posted there and see precious little in the way of any embryonic service I could help to offer test. Nearly three months have gone by since the announcement of The End and there is only a month left to go now.

Given that after June 1st the Tivo servers fall silent I would have expected an element of parallel running for a number of weeks beforehand to try and iron out the bugs. I and quite a few other people here have retired Tivos that could easily be deployed to that purpose.

I have personal experience of working for a company for several years that had to deliver data feeds of over 10,000 funds once a day and I can tell you data collection and distribution is a real old grind that takes a lot of work. It isn't like some one off project that start on, slowly build up to and complete. Its an ongoing commitment once it starts that never stops (a bit like running a restaurant or a pub) and can easily grind people down in terms of their enthusiasm over time.

I'm not saying you won't have a service as good or better than the Tribune but I am saying that it could easily take you 6 months after the Tribune EPG is discontinued to begin to achieve such a goal.

At the moment I'm only seeing some of the same kind of naive optimism that is embraced over at www.save-concorde.org.uk/forums/index.php

20. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    To be honest anything that updates the EPG so we can schedule progs to record and 'series link' is fine. We turned off the suggestions after a few weeks as, frankly, it never turned up anything we didn't already know about (and kept recording 6+ hours of 'off air' for whatever reason) and we never used the wishlists anyway.

The No 1 reason for our TiVo was series link. And as long as that still works more or less as good as it does now .... well great :up: :up: :up: