System Message 16/5/11 - Your TiVo service is about to end

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, May 17, 2011.

1. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Just for the benefit of people who currently don't have a TiVo but like to keep up with all things tivo:

Thinking ahead, I think the one on 31/5 is REALLY going to piff us off going by the continuing theme in these messages :( Unless TiVo get free reign (i.e. outside of VM's marketing machine) to post a 'nice' message.

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
  3. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Interesting choice of words :
    Not "We" ?!

If there was ever any doubt that these messages originate from VM's marketing dept...

4. nlyndhurst

nlyndhurst New Member

May 17, 2011

I am really annoyed by the messages I get from Tivo on this. I can't get Virgin as not in a cable area so nothing I can do except to move to Sky Plus which I didn't want to do. How hard is it really for Tivo to continue our service when I have been loyal for years?! Oh and they say it will finish soon but I have had no letters or notice of exactly when "soon" is. Rubbish - has put me off Tivo!

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    "Soon" is June 1st, you should have had this system message to your tivo a while ago:

Code:
    Date: Mon 14 Feb 2011
    Subject: Free Service Continues until 1 June 2011

On 1 June 2011, TiVo will be discontinuing the service for Series1 TiVo
    Recorders in the UK. Your current service will continue to be provided until
    that time at no charge. For further information, go to [url]tivo.com/UKSeries1[/url].

Unfortunately many ignored that one up until now - not knowing that a "Series 1 TiVo" is our Thomson PVR10UK.
    (Yes I've had quite a few via phone and email who thought "Series 1" didn't apply to them... )

6. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    You are not alone. The reasons for and against have been discussed a lot in the past few months. You will find them in the earlier pages of this forum. (Welcome, by the way!)

7. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    A business never uses "We" in formal messages, always the company name, as "we" could mean anything about the company.

8. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Not really 'formal' though is it - they're trying to be all pally and chatty like we is mates or summat ;)

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned in response to your first ever post in this forum after all these years of Tivo use that you will be able to continue to use your UK Tivo S1 machine after 1st June courtesy of the AltEPG project being put together by a few of the most technically able members of this webs discussion forum.

See www.tivoland.com/page4/index.html for more information on this.

I agree that it is still totally disgusting that Tivo have decided to renege on their previous commitments to provide Lifetime Service to the UK S1 Tivo units at the apparent behest of Virgin Media just so that they can say they have a UK exclusive on Tivo.:eek::mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

10. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Has anyone else noticed that the guide data now does seem to extend past June 1st - so perhaps May 31st will be the last "dialout" date but we may still get an extra couple of weeks guide data after that?

11. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    ..or on 1st June guide data continues for networked users (a method never officially supported anyway),
    and the dialup number turns off.

Well you never know !

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    A subject already recently discussed by myself in posts #524 and #528 in the main 1st June thread at www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=464818&page=11

As of my completed dial up to Tivo and related guide data update tonight at 8pm my Tivo now has "Programme" Guide Data To" "Thursday 7 June 2011" according to my System Information screen and the final available programs in the EPG to record are at 12am on 8th June eg NCIS on Sky Channel 148 - CBS Action. However as the last main BBC and ITV channel download will probably be on the evening of 28th May (new guide data becomes available from Tribune about 8pm every day UK time or midday California time and I long ago modified my dial up script to run at 8pm every day) then those channels may well run out of data on June 12th.

However don't forget that all of the messages we have been receiving so far have been written by Virgin marketing people wanting to sell as many new Virgin Tivos as possible. There may yet be an 11th hour U-Turn by Tivo UK and/or Tivo Inc before we reach June 2nd. Especially in view of all the talk of many people here now having found their Lifetime Subscription letters and considering taking legal action against Tivo for discontinuing their Lifetime Service.

13. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    You can tell from the message they most definitely aren't.

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Indeed.

The message from Virgin to those Tivo S1 owners in non Virgin Media land is effectively "now just stick your head on that block sir so we can cut it off nice and quickly. We promise that it won't hurt a bit if you let us get on with it sharpish"!

15. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK

16. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Is this another unfounded assumption of yours.

I have always seen it as Tivo telling us what they are doing about supplying EPG and at the same time letting us know what other options are available.

Not unlike when a store or other facility shuts down and all that is left is a note in the window saying what your options are. EG THE NEAREST ****** CAN BE FOUND AT *******

17. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    If a Tivo or Sky person had written the end of service message I would expect there to be some kind of apology that there was no form of replacement service in non Virgin Media areas along with a message of thanks for your custom over the last 10 or so years.

If however the message was written by the Virgin marketing department I would not expect there to be any form of acknowledgement that there was an alternative means of receiving television other than through a Virgin Cable box.

I believe that the message was entirely written by a marketing person at Virgin who then gave it to Sky or Tivo to send out on their behalf.

18. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    With the number of IF's and I BELIEVE'S in your reply should we all conclude that you have no evidence of Virgin sending out the messages

19. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    True but its style *is* more typical of Virgin's marketing dept than of Tivo's. IMO.

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Although we often disagree I am pleased to see that we agree on something.

In my opinion only a Virgin marketing person would have the bare faced cheek to send out a message cheerily telling us to upgrade to the new Virgin service or else get cut off with no mention that for the majority of us (given that many Virgin Tivo customers have already upgraded and stopped using their old S1s) in fact have no official alternative other than to turn our Tivos in to a glorified manual video recorder after 1st June.

The purpose of the message we were sent was purely to sell us a new Virgin Tivo and not to say "so long and thanks for all the fish" (for those who have read or watched The Hithchikers Guide To The Galaxy). I would still hope for and indeed expect a more polite and apologetic System Message from Tivo itself around the time of the final EPG download.