Syntax Olevia Remote Control answers

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dpbl, Jul 31, 2007.

1. dpbl

dpbl New Member

Sep 3, 2004

Advertisements

I bought a Syntax Olevia 232V, a real nice 32 inch high def LCD TV for $494 hard to beat that price. But then I found out that finding a remote that could be used with the TV was going to be a real project. Since it was just for a bedroom and all I wanted to control was the TV and the Tivo I was hoping to just use the Tivo remote. No go on that and I even bought the new Glo programmable remote and it learns but won’t work the TV. My goal was to find a low cost remote for both and I did not want to spend $100+ for a remote just for 2 devices in a bedroom. So I finally found that any of the One for All Programmable/learning/upgradeable remotes will work. Out of the box the One for All remotes do not have the code for the Syntax Olevia 232v TV’s but they will learn them no problem. If you prefer you can have your One for All remote upgraded free to include the Syntax Olevia TV codes so that you don’t have to learn them. So you can buy a One for All URC8820 8 device remote that can learn the Syntax Olevia codes or if you like you can send it in and they will upgrade it free to include the Syntax Olevia code so that you don’t have to teach it. You can find a URC8820 for about $20 including shipping. Your other choice is a One for All URC8910 8 device remote that can learn the Syntax Olevia codes or if you like you can have them upgrade it to include the Syntax Olevia code over the phone again free so that you don’t have to teach it. You can find a URC8820 for about $25 including shipping.

Of course the One for All remotes support the Tivo and other devices no problem.

Also you have to call Syntax Olevia tech support for the upgrade but the newest version of software gives you faster channel changing, you can turn off the bright blue LED when the TV is off, boots faster to a picture, and a few other menu changes.

I know that I was frustrated with the remote so I hope that this helps someone out.

2. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Thanks for the info. But tell me, doesn't their remote work?

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    if you get a an upgradeable OFA remote, the code to ask for to control the olevia, is TV 1610.

4. dpbl

dpbl New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Sure the remote that came with the TV works the TV. The problem is that the Tivo remote will not work the TV so you are stuck with using 2 remotes a real pain when all you want to do is change the volume or turn the TV on or off. Since the internet is littered with people looking for remotes that can work this TV and another device like a Tivo thought that I would share the info so you don’t have to go through the pain that I did buying, trying, and returning remotes until I found one that worked both the TV and the Tivo and did not cost half as much as the TV.

5. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA

Advertisements

If you have directv, they just released the rc64rb, its a white directv remote, which works with tivos and also has the olevia tv code on board, in that remote the code is TV 11610.

6. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Heheh! Again, thanks for sharing.

And, already, I'm suffering from far too many remotes! Aieeeee! I tend to buy them until they work, and the others go in a drawer.

7. Aug 5, 2007 #7 of 33
    sting0r

sting0r New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Crap! I wish I saw this post before I bought a Glo remote to program my 337H. Quick question for you does your remote say RC-LTL on it? I have read these are standard NEC IR signals, wonder why we can't program these things. Guess I just threw $50 down the drain. Guess eBaying it will be the answer Argh!

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 33
    Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    You're going to give it a try? I have not seen anyone else complain of not being able to learn the commands.

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 33
    dpbl

dpbl New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Maybe it will work on a 337H but from what Tech Support told me it won't. I had no problem returning the Glo to the Tivo store for full credit all it cost me was the postage back to them. So don't ebay what you can return for full credit.

10. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    I had no problem with the glo remote learning Olevia 537 power and input commands. Just wish the darn TV had discrete input selection commands. You can do it via rs-232, but apparently not from a remote.

11. sting0r

sting0r New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Unfortunately I didn't buy it from TiVo. I bought it from 9thtee. I am getting mixed feedback, so hoping it will work

12. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    We got the Glo remote directly from TiVo and it doesn't work at all, in attempting to have it "learn" the Olevia 232 tv we just bought.

-Deb

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have one of these Olevia TVs and i have not found any programmable remote to work with it, they must be using a different IR code system, that why they can sell the TV for such a good price they don't have to pay fee to the IR assignment code co. of America.

14. sting0r

sting0r New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Just a quick update for those who are interested. I did get the TiVo Glo Remote and it was able to programed no problem. Works great!!!

15. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    That's great!

Please share what code worked and any particulars, as well as what TV etc. -- to help others who might have future difficulties.

16. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    There is no code, the GLO remote has a learning feature, he taught the commands to the tivo GLO remote.

17. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Curious which Olevia you have, Edmund. I have a Glo remote and it was not able to "learn" the commands for my Olevia (232).

-Deb

18. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    I just sent my trusty URC-6131 back to UEI to get code 1610 added to it so I can control my Olevia 332H with it. What I can't find at the moment is a list of EFC's for that code. Anyone have a clue if one exists at the moment?

19. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    728-aspect
    505-audio
    468-auto
    599-CC
    506-favorite
    601-freeze
    246-function
    473-info
    731-lighting
    347-time
    474-view

697-0
    695-1
    443-2
    692-3
    440-4
    438-5
    698-6
    565-7
    313-8
    311-9

630-vol up
    378-vol down
    503-mute
    372-ch up
    632-ch down
    437-power
    251-menu
    248-tv/video
    245-last
    629-up
    377-down
    375-left
    635-right
    500-select
    341-sleep
    725-display
    726-pip swap
    471-guide

You might try the efc's listed in this thread:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7682&start=15

20. ggekko12

ggekko12 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I'm trying to make sense of all this, so forgive me if I am asking something that was clearly answered. Just recently bought the Olevia 532H and wanted to know if the Glo remote will learn to operate the TV power, TV volume up/down, and my Tivo all together? Without dropping big $$, is the Glo my best bet? Appreciate any feedback.