Swivel Search

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by midas, Dec 24, 2011.

1. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I don't get it. Since the only internet connectivity the new THR22 has is VOD, how is this any different than a regular search? Am I missing something or is it possible they do indeed intend to add more connectivity in the future?

2. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Swivel Search gives you the ability to find a program, select an actor or director from that program and search on that person from there. It's great, for example, when you want to find something else that chick from Transformers was in.

Or say you want to find something else directed by the guy who directed a movie that you like. You don't have to know an actor or director's name, just a movie they were in or a someone that they worked with.

3. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Thanks, I didn't look further than the description. That is pretty damn cool.

4. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    How is it different from DirecTV Cast and Crew? Honest question - I never had Swivel search. On DirecTV DVR you select "more info", "cast and crew" on any movie or program and it will give you a list of all actors, directors etc. You click on the name and you get all that is available with this person.
    Also "You may like" feature shows you similar programing. Sort of like suggestions except it does not automatically record and you get to pick from the list of a programs similar to particular show instead whole bunch of junk based on your viewing history.

5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    No idea. I've never tried a DTV DVR since they won't let you without a two year commitment, but it sounds very similar, including the "you might like" feature.

And of course, on TiVo you can turn off recording of suggestions if you like.

6. ChristopherLee

ChristopherLee New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    In a regular search, you have to start with the first word of the title. With swivel, you can use a word from anywhere in a title.

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    That's not it - a regular search can look for words in a title. The key of the Swivel Search is not in the first search - it's that you can use the results of the first search and easily do a second based on something the first turned up.