Swivel Search Update - Actors & Filters

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoPony, Nov 7, 2007.

1. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...

Advertisements

Today we did a rather major update to the Swivel Search feature. It should be live...now.

Some big changes, chief of which is the ability to start a search with an actor's name. You don't have to think of a Nicholas Cage movie to swivel on his name...just type 'Nicholas Cage'. Makes finding your favorite actor and all of their programs and co-stars so much easier.

Swivel Search will also help you out when you can't quite remember an actor - actor photos and character names are displayed for popular programs. Highlight a name and you'll know that Hugh Laurie plays...House (well, that one you probably could have figured out yourself). :)

Tags have been updated and now cover over twice as many programs as before. You'll also find a number of new tags to help you find educational programs as well as the new programs available via broadband using TiVoCast.

We've also added category filtering to Swivel Search. The initial results of your search can be narrowed to display only results from a specific content category (Comedy, HD, Cooking, etc), and from a specific source (Broadcast/Broadband and Free/Pay). Filtering only applies to the initial search results - from there you can jump thru all of the program data from the TiVo Service.

Lots of new things to try out on Swivel Search. You'll find it (as always) under Find Programs and within the 'More Options' menu of any recording on your Now Playing List.

Enjoy!

Pony

2. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Gee, I get to thank you first. Thank you!

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Ha! I was just grumbling the other day that I couldn't do that with an actor name!

Now you just need to make it accessible from any program description. I frequently want to search for something related to a program in Now Playing or the program guide. If a menu entry would be awkward, maybe a shortcut.

4. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    You can launch Swivel Search from any of the programs in your Now Playing List! Just click on 'More Options' and you'll Swivel Search listed. It even starts up with the show you clicked from loaded up and ready to go. :)

Now...launching it from other places, that's an interesting idea. Where would you launch it from, and how? Ideas always welcome. ;)

Pony

5. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000

Advertisements

Oh, I'm happy to help out on that! My biggest issue with Swivel is its never where I would want it ..

1. Program Detail Page. (I believe this sometimes has "other programs you'd be interested in" already)

2. From an entry on the To Do list.

3. From the Season Page page

There that's 3 right off the bat for ya :)

Oh, and that all being said .. just a couple of weeks ago I was thinking "Ya know, it would be nice if this would search by actors". So.. kudos on that.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    TivoPony, is it possible for Season Premiere and Series Premieres tags to be added? As you probably know this has been a huge request in the past from users and seems like Swivel would be an easy place to add such tags so one can search and find all season and series premieres.

Thanks a bunch for consideration...

7. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Thanks, that was fast. ;) I could have sworn I'd looked for it there before.

MirclMax got most of the places I've thought of - the Program Details page is a big one. Pressing "Info" a second time could take you to the Swivel Search for the program.

What I'd really like is to be able to bring up the program details page from the Live Guide and then from there go to Swivel Search. The "Info" button would probably be the appropriate shortcut. That would be perfect for those "What show was that guy on" moments.

8. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Nice to see this added to swivel, it would also be nice if you could add things like this to the built in guide search. I would like to type NFL and find every program with NFL anywhere in the title instead of just programs that begin with NFL. I have a bad memory (getting old) so don't always remember exact names of programs.

9. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    The obvious place it is needed is in the program info screen when setting up or modifying a future recording. If its available for that screen for recorded programs, then its a logical step to have it for programs you will or are considering recording. It also leverages off the traditional DVR interface searches right into Swivel.

Generalizing Swivel beyond actors and titles to directors, etal. is still needed.

What with the data fields that exist there is the power to do producer, writer, star rating, movie year/air date range, content rating, and perhaps more. Searches could be narrowed further and further with each field or openned back up to the whole database at the searcher's option.