Switching to OTA and HD TIVO from DTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nolanski, Feb 23, 2009.

1. nolanski

nolanski New Member

Mar 26, 2006

Advertisements

Ok need to save some $$$ and OTA and Tivo looks like the right move right now.

I already have a proper antennae no issues there.
    I also understand that my 750 GB SEAGATE ESATA drive will not function with the Tivo correct?

Used to have a HR10-250 that we loved.
    I'm looking forward to the networking features along with the Netflix and Rhapsody support.

Anything I should know about that isn't in the stickies?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    On a S3, eSATA drives aren't restricted. But on a TiVo HD (XL), you a restricted to the TiVo branded drive. However, you can use WinMFS or other MFS tools to make any external drive work. However, it will require hooking the internal and esata drive up to a PC.

3. nolanski

nolanski New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    The restriction only applies to the XL?

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    And the TiVo HD.

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

TiVo HD and HDXL as rainwater pointed out.

A visit to the Official eSATA Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ sticky thread is in order. It has everything you need to know about upgrading your TiVo including recommended hard drives and Section V covers internal upgrades. The process is very simple.

6. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003
    and those couple of programs you really hate to miss, are probably available from amazon as a DL to your new Tivo.

I made the switch about 18 months ago and absolutely love it, and the savings :)