Switching to MPEG4 couldn't happen at a worse time for me.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jamesbobo, Jul 6, 2007.

1. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ

Advertisements

A bunch of new HD channels on the way. Why not just switch to new equipment? Because the 3 family house where I have had an apartment for the last 10 years is up for sale, the owner is too old to care for it anymore. I don't know if I will be able to stay here when the house is sold. If I have to move, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to put up a dish. If I get new equipment now I will be locked in a two year commitment. If I can't meet that commitment I will have to pay a penalty fee.
    What would you do?
    Just wait and see what happens?
    Get the new equipment now and hope for the best?
    Dump Direct and go to cable which you could still get if you move?
    Decisions, decisions.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    If you end up moving and at your new address cannot install a dish to receive programming, DirecTV will let you out of your commitment with no penalty.

3. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Thanks, I did not know that.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Don't move where you can't put up a dish. :D Simple as that, for me anyway. Last time we moved (bought a house) if it didn't have a clear shot to the sats we didn't even look at the house. When we lived in apartments I refused to even look at one if it didn't have a clear southern view.

All depends what your priorities are. ;)

5. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado

Advertisements

I do the same, but with cable. It is a rarity around here in my area to find an apartment that will allow (or is wired) for cable service. It is DTV/Dish or nothing. My problem is the same in that all of my equipment is geared for cable.

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    What kind of proof do you typically need?

7. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    Well, they usually offer to move you so perhaps it requires the installer to say it can't be done.

A $50 bill held in front of his view of the southern sky might help. ;)