Switching providers

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by srothkin, Oct 26, 2006.

1. srothkin

srothkin New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Ossining, NY

Advertisements

If I record HD programs from Cablevision (primarily network shows like Dancing with the Stars) and I then get Verizon FIOS and replace Cablevision's cablecards with Verizon's, will I still be able to watch shows previously recorded from CableVision? Or will the absence of the CableVision cablecards cause those recordings to be locked and/or auto-deleted?

The reason why I'm asking is that Verizon hasn't started offering the TV part of FIOS in my town yet since they're still in the process of negotiating the franchise agreements with every town. So when my just-ordered S3 arrives, I want to use it with Cablevision until TV's available on FIOS, and then switch.

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    You can switch providers without losing any programming previously recorded. All you will have to do is re-run guided setup.

3. srothkin

srothkin New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Ossining, NY
    So, I take it that means that the decryption/authorization provided by the cablecards is during tuning (original broadcast) only, and that the cablecards are completely irrelevant when playing back previously recorded content?