Switching Lifetime Subscription from S2 to Premeire

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by michael1248, Nov 25, 2011.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Any new, upcoming, or recent offers where I can switch my lifetime S2 subscription to a newly purchased Premiere? I seem to recall there used to be special offers every now and then....

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I doubt it. From what I understand, the switching was a one time good deal for very early owners of S1s.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you paid less than several hundred dollars for that Premiere they're going to want a subscription that lets them get back some of the money they lost on the hardware sale, but retaining that S2 will let you get the Multi-Service Discount on the Premiere subscription, which at this point means either $14.95 per month (instead of $19.95) or Product Lifetime Service for $399 (instead of $499).

You could get the PLS for the Premiere and then sell the S2 and its PLS, but the MSD PLS on the Premiere wouldn't qualify you for MSD on any future TiVos.

4. JGAN

JGAN New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Hoping someone can answer this question. I'm a current S2 user(no PLS) and am considering a move up to a Premiere XL with PLS. They're offering me the $299.95 and $399.95 PLS. My question is, I can buy the XL on Amazon for around $240 and save $60 --will I still be eligible for the $399 PLS if I call TIVO after buying on Amazon? Or any other suggestions -I don't plan on keeping the S2. Thanks.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You can also get a 1TB upgraded Lifetime Premiere for less. I still have one with a 1TB inside , plus the original drive, box and accessories and the rest of the 3 year warranty(although since it's been opened up the extended warranty wouldn't good). It would certainly be at least $150 less than the $240 + $400 MSD price you mentioned.
    Send me a PM if interested.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    While you have the S2 subscription current ($12.95 per month, right?), that qualifies you for MSD on other TiVos you acquire, no matter where you got them or what you paid, as long as you didn't steal them, so you could get a monthly rate of $14.95 on a Series 4 or PLS at $399 instead of $499.

If you then discontinue the S2, the $14.95 would go up to $19.95 if you had opted for monthly, but if you went with PLS instead, then you'd have PLS (at the MSD rate) on that second TiVo, and they can't take that away or charge any extra on it at that point no matter what you did with the S2.

Furthermore, once you have an S4, if you call to cancel that S2 you might get offered PLS on it for $99. No guarantees, 'cause the exact rules on the $99 PLS offers don't seem to be actually written down anywhere, and you might have to try different CSRs before you get one that will offer that, and you might never get offered that.

There's another thread or 2 around here somewhere where people talk about getting it on S3 HDs, and at least one person reported getting it on an S2 after adding a Premiere.

7. JGAN

JGAN New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    aaronwt ...I just pm'd you

Thanks

8. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    unitron, you might want to explain to the OP why he'd want to spend $99 on putting PLS on an S2 he is about to get rid of as he just upgraded.

I know Lifetime does add value to a Tivo, but an S2 is bit old and going on completed ebay listings not worth a whole lot, unless the S2 is dual tuner, upgraded HDD, lifetime and some accessories. Am I missing something?

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Just trying to make sure they know all their options, not telling them which one to choose.

Although the idea of knowing you paid $100 for something that otherwise is $400 or $500 has its own charm, and turns that S2 into an MSD generator they could pass on to a family member if they don't think they'd get their money back out of a resale.

10. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Actually, I do have lifetime on my S2. Single tuner, though.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I just realized you mistook my answer to JGAN for an answer to michael1248, the OP.

My previous answer to you was in reference to my answer to JGAN.

12. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    But, to answer your question...no, you can't do that.

What you can do is use your S2 as the basis for MSD, which would include getting discounted lifetime on your non-subsidized Premiere....whether you buy it from TiVo or not. Also, HDs are different, you still may be able to cut a deal on them.

My current complement is:
    -- Eleven year old upgraded S1 Sony with lifetime running in the basement, hooked up to a phone line, and providing a basis for MSD.
    -- Two HDXLs leveraging off the Sony at legacy $6.95/month
    -- A PXL, which I couldn't cut the same legacy monthly deal for, at $299 discounted lifetime.

Hope this helps.