Switching from Spectrum (TWC) to Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by irisr, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. irisr

irisr Member

Jun 29, 2015

Advertisements

Since Spectrum/TWC copy protects almost everything, (except network broadcasts) when I switch to Fios and remove the TWC cable card, will I still be able to view the recordings made from TWC on my Tivo?

2. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    No they’ll stay copy protected since you recorded them on spectrum. Only new recordings on Fios will reflect the new cc flags. While fios is more open they still honor broadcasters who ask for the more restrictive flag. So for example the fox cable channels (eg fx and fxx) have copy protect on while tnt and tbs do not.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I think this is answering a different question. The OP just wants to know if they'll be able to still watch the shows, directly on the DVR, that were previously recorded via a Spectrum CableCARD once the DVR is using a FiOS CableCARD.

My expectation is that the programming will still be viewable, since its locked to the DVR not the provider service. And the copy-protection flags are set at the time of recording, so previous recordings will retain their Spectrum-assigned protection levels.

4. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    Ah, okay. If that was the question, then I did the same thing (transferred from Spectrum to FiOS) and was able to watch the Spectrum copy-protected content fine.