Switching from Frontier to TWC

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pacor, May 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pacor

pacor Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Lewisville, TX

Advertisements

I'm thinking on switching from Frontier to TWC and wanted to check if somebody has experienced that, specially from the TIVO point of view. I have 4 cable cards for two HD, 1 premiere and 1 roamio plus. I used to be a FIOS customer. I was very happy with it. Got switched to Frontier and didn't have a good feeling chatting with them today about renewing my contract. They seem somewhat cryptict on their answers and the price is much higher than what I currently have. They do not show on their website any pricing or info to compare. The price from TWC seems also better. The chat with them was better also.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    TWC copy protects more content and uses tuning adapters. Both of which can be annoying.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Charter only copy protects premiums plus Sundance. It's not a big thing for me, but if you do transfers between units it could be a pain. Hopefully Charter rules prevail in the acquisition.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

As a TWC (OK, Charter?) customer I can assure you they can match any provider in being a PITA to deal with. Published rates are meaningless. To prevent huge automatic increases every year you have to call in and threaten to cut the cord (or switch providers if that is an option).

The last time I negotiated with them it took several calls and more than an hour of my time. And to get a decent rate I had to take a promise of getting a $150 Visa card as part of the deal. I won't get that card until 5 or 6 months later, and there are numerous complaints on their forum from people who were promised such cards and then didn't get them. In fact I have nothing in writing, or on my TWC web account page, that verifies they owe me that card. Fingers crossed.

What are the actual rates you can get from Frontier and TWC? And for what service levels?

Have you tried playing hardball with Frontier?
    Yes, and it's a major annoyance, especially the Tuning Adapter. The only channels not copy protected are local broadcast stations.

6. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut

There's some additional channels that they copy protect as well. MTV Live(aka Palladia) comes to mind. I know there are a few others as well.

7. Conard

Conard New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Naples, NY
    There is a secret trick to dealing with TWC (Charter) when negotiating pricing.

If at all possible, go to your local office and talk to them in person. I know it's a pain but the service is faster and always less expensive than dealing with the CSR's on the phone. My visits over the last 6 years have resulted in reducing my costs from $144 to $99 each time for TV, internet and phone.

8. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Regarding the copy protection, I thought I read (somewhere here) that Frontier is just as guilty. Is that incorrect?

(I have some level of interest in this because I am on Comcast and have Frontier FIOS as an alternative, but Comcast hasn't quite pissed me off enough _yet_ to make me call Frontier)

9. pacor

pacor Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Lewisville, TX
    Frontier is offering the same service (75/75 internet, Ultimate TV HD and Phone and 4 cable cards) for about $208 before taxes, for a 2 year contract with $260 early termination. That is $10 more than what I currently pay after taxes and with an additional movie package. TWC has a $129.99+taxes plan on their web page that it supposed to be a 300/20, about the same TV and phone. There is $10 modem lease and the cable cards, on the website are $4.49 the reps are telling me $2.50. I haven't called Frontier yet and see if they could improve their offer.

10. sbillard

sbillard Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Don't lease the modem. You can buy one for about $60, so paid for in 6 months.

For me the first cable card is $3.00, subsequent ones are $2.50.

Tuning adapter is a pain, but I now have it on a weekly power cycle, so other than having to OK the "tuning adapter found" message I no longer have issues with it.

You can always negotiate with TWC (and you should) to get a better renewal price. No contract, either. Hopefully that will not change under Charter.

11. pacor

pacor Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Lewisville, TX
    Can someone elaborate on the tunning adapter and the issues? I'm not familiar with that and would like to know more in case I switch. Thanks

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    See below.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    They periodically stop working properly. All of a sudden you get channel not authorized messages on sdv. Worst case is when something doesn't record. When this happens you have to reboot it which takes several minutes. A lot of us routinely reboot the TAs twice a month and that seems to prevent it from going on the fritz all by itself.

14. Cgrisamore

Cgrisamore Member

Dec 25, 2003
    Flower...
    I just made the switch to TWC from Frontier. Technician was sorely lacking in cablecard knowledge and spent much time on the phone trying to locate someone with actual knowledge. Once he managed to find the right guy things proceeded ok but he was at my house for 6 hours and he didn't have to do any new cable runs, just hook up the house, setup one cable box, and the tuning adapter and Tivo.

I was a FIOS customer for almost 10 years and it took Frontier less than 30 days to run me off. All of the stories you've read in the news about NO customer service, spending hours on hold, and constant lying from Frontier are absolutely true. Although the install was a bit bumpy I've called TWC a couple of times since and customer service has been good. Crossing my fingers that the Charter acquisition won't be a repeat of the Frontier takeover horror.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  16. pacor

pacor Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Lewisville, TX
    How do you reboot the TAs?

17. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Pull the power plug, wait a few seconds and reinsert.

18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    This is a completely different situation. The TWC system is completely separate from Charter and the employees will remain in place unlike the Frontier situation. That doesn't mean that there won't be some changes made over time that might not be supported by customers. I would expect a consolidation of customer service over time.

19. sbillard

sbillard Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Guess he was also not knowledgeable of the support TWC has available. There is a CableCard support group in NY 1-800-532-2598. twc.com/cablecard.

They know what they are talking about. Standard TWC support is cablecard ignorant. Skip them and go directly to the above for TiVo related support.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    +1

TWC maintains this competent national CableCARD/TA support desk and yet it seems most of their local support people not only know nothing but don't even know enough to refer you to the national unit.

Sure hope it survives the transition into Charter.