Switching from DirecTV to cable, have questions.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ParadiseDave, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ParadiseDave

ParadiseDave Ignore this!

Jun 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK

Advertisements

I have a series 1 stand alone TiVo with lifetime that I have been using with DirecTV for about 7 years. I have been fighting a losing battle with the trees to my south, and I am tired of recording "searching for satellite signal."

I have had Internet service through Cox Cable for years, and this Tuesday they are coming out to hook me up with digital cable and phone service (goodbye, $48 per month to SBC/att!)

What do I need to do once the cable box is in place? I assume I repeat guided setup? If so, does this clear all of my season passes? If they remain, will they "find" the new locations for all of the channels? If they are deleted, will I have to start completely from scratch and reenter them all?

What about my program ratings (thumbs up, down)?

I was really happy with DirecTV. I even moved my dish when the trees next door grew into the signal path. Now there is no clear view to the south without taking a chain saw to the neighbor's trees. I have the small, round dish and I get locals from an antenna in my attic. I was using the IR Blaster cable with the DirecTV box.

Is there anything else I need to know in order to make the switch?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  3. ParadiseDave

Jun 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    That is going to take some work. Will I also lose all of my thumbs up/thumbs down ratings?

Thanks for the link. I have no idea what brand/model of box I will be getting.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    1. Yes, you'll lose all of those settings, too. It's because your cable lineup is totally different than DirecTV's channel lineup .... different channel numbers for example.

2. Most likely you'll get a D11 or D12 Receiver.

5. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...

Advertisements

You will not loose your thumbs ratings. Your wishlists should also be fine. You will just have to re-enter the season passes because of the channel mappings will have changed.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Ooops, he doesn't know what model cable box he'll be getting.

7. ParadiseDave

Jun 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Just to be safe, I wrote down all of my season passes (including the settings for each - record quality, number to keep, repeat or first-run, etc.) and all of my wishlists. Quaint stuff, this pen and paper. :)

I just hope TiVo doesn't lose 7 years of show ratings and start recording newscasts and infomercials.

Is there a choice of cable boxes from Cox? Is there a preferred model?

Do I need to call TiVo for any reason, or just call DirecTV and cancel service?

8. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The D11 or D12 are Directv Receivers. The OP is leaving Directv for Cable so I do hope he does not get one of those boxes. LOL. :D

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I guess I was a little too subtle. :)

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    At seven years, I would look at a hard drive replacement. It is kind of amazing that you would have a working unit after all that time...

11. ParadiseDave

Jun 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm pleased to say that after repeating guided setup, my season passes were still there (with the modified channel numbers), my wish lists were still there, and my ratings were still there! :up:

My only issue is the audio level from the cable box, which is addressed here.