Switching from component to HDMI (troubleshooting)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ignavia, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana
    When I got my Premiere units last year, I connected one with component and the other with HDMI, and both worked beautifully. (Both TVs are 720p native.)

Well, on the front TV, I'd like to use the component for something else, so I ran a new HDMI cable above the fireplace. When I connected it last night, I got an SD image of "Tivo is powering up," but then it went back to black and No Signal. I tried different inputs to no avail. I switched back to component and everything is fine.

I tried pressing the Format button while on HDMI, but it didn't do anything. (That button's just for analog, right?)

Now, I've never used these cables (I know, I should have tested them before installing). I've also never used the HDMI inputs on this TV, nor the HDMI output of this TiVo unit. So lots of unknown possible failure points here. My next step is to borrow an upconverting DVD player to test the HDMI (I don't have any other HDMI devices). Any other things to try or other thoughts?

Thanks.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, it reads like you have a proven hdmi cable on the other Premiere. Try switching the hdmi cables between the Premieres. This should give you some idea of whether the problem is the cable, or something else(like "above the fireplace").

3. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I do indeed. But one is 6 feet, the other is 25 feet. The 6-footer is the known good one.

Like I said, I know there's more troubleshooting I can still do. I just didn't know if there might me a known issue or reset or something like that. For instance, what happens if I just plug the HDMI cable in? Will it output on both? Or do I HAVE to unplug the component cables?

4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    25 Feet seems a bit long.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Although no maximum length for an HDMI cable is specified, signal attenuation (dependent on the cable's construction quality and conducting materials) limits usable lengths in practice.[65] HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30).[62][66][67] Category 1 HDMI cables are marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High Speed".[1] This labeling guideline for HDMI cables went into effect on October 17, 2008.[68][69] Category 1 and 2 cables can either meet the required parameter specifications for interpair skew, far-end crosstalk, attenuation and differential impedance, or they can meet the required nonequalized/equalized eye diagram requirements.[66] A cable of about 5 meters (16 ft) can be manufactured to Category 1 specifications easily and inexpensively by using 28 AWG (0.081 mm²) conductors.[65] With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm²) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft).[65] Many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work.[70]

5. hmm52

hmm52 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Lower...
    Connecting an HDMI cable shouldn't cause a reboot, which is what happened unless it was a coincidence. If you saw anything displayed on screen, it was connecting. Perhaps it wasn't capable of passing an HD signal. You can't move the TiVos around to try different combinations? Antenna or coax doesn't need to be connected; just play back recorded material.

I've used 80 feet of thick HDMI for years to push 1080i upstairs without any problems though I had difficulty with thinner cable at 1080p on relatively short lengths - 15'. 720p is no more demanding of cables than 1080i.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So just to completely sanity check, this was all while on the TV's HDMI input, right?

If you've got the Tivo connected through ANOTHER device also, and are temporarily using that connection, it might not have the HDCP stuff going.

i.e. I wanted to be able to leave HDMI connected but normally go through my DVD recorder.. If I did that, I'd get HDMI connection not permitted on *other* outputs, and ONLY a black screen in most cases when on the HDMI connection.

It SEEMs like I usually have to be on the HDMI connection ALREADY when I plug HDMI in (now I only use it sporadically, like when I want my other recorder to record something).

You would think it would be smart enough to put out "HDMI connection not permitted" FROM the HDMI output, but at least my TivoHD isn't.. I get e.g. the menu screens, but then when trying to play a recording, get that error.