Switching from Cable TV to OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Joe Siegler, May 10, 2011.

1. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I have a TiVoHD, and have had service from Time Warner Cable for the last couple of years. Other than the usual CableCard hiccups, it's been OK. However, due to prolonged unemployment, I'm starting to look at some pretty harsh cuts to save money. One of which is cutting CableTV. I don't really WANT to do that, but I may have to.

I'll have to give back my CableCard, which means I won't be getting any channels from Time Warner anymore. I'll still be getting Internet from them, so I'm a little unclear if I'll still get the unencrypted, Sub Channel 100 channels here in Dallas/Ft Worth. That's a minor issue, as I'm planning on going to Over the Air for the duration.

With all that in mind, I have a few questions about my TiVo.

1) I presume I'll still be able to watch all my recorded shows, as my TiVo service is lifetime. Just wanted to check.

2) What happens to my season passes? Obviously they won't record anything, given I won't receive those channels anymore. I'm guessing the channels probably won't be selectable when I switch to just Over the Air for my source, but will the passes still remain? I will eventually go back and put cable back in when I'm on my feet again. I'm basically wondering if I'll have to manually re-enter all my season passes when I do. :)

I'm gonna install a decent antenna on the roof, as the amount of $ I'll spend doing that will get made up in about a month or two by money saved from not paying TWC.

When I eventually go back to Time Warner, I'll probably want to use the antenna for locals vs the ones on Time Warner offers. Out of curiosity, how does a mixed source work? Does it ask you to select which locals you want, or do you have to manually "turn off" the ones you don't?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would need to run guided setup each time you have a lineup change, like switching from cable to antenna and vice versa, or even adding antenna to the existing cable. Yes, you can have both cable and antenna at the same time with Series 3/HD/Premiere.

3. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Yeah, I knew that. But will it wipe out my season passes?

4. jseeley

jseeley New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Your season passes and recordings will remain. You also don't HAVE to run guided setup, but it may be the fastest method. When I got rid of cable I just removed the channels I no longer received from the channel list, but my setup is still listed as having Time Warner Cable. For a time (with cable modem service) I still received analog channels (no cable card) but it was VERY limited. I really only got like 3 channels I wasn't getting over the air already. It really depends on your local cable service though and how many channels they still have as true analog. In some locations it can be quite a few.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have internet over Time-Warner's line, I'm pretty sure you'll be paying for analog channels 2-13. You have to have what was once known as "basic cable" in order to have a cable running to your house that's not disconnected out at the pedestal or phone pole.

That means you can have a splitter in the line somewhere, one side going to your cable modem, the other to your TV. Or your TiVo or VCR or whatever you connect to it.

If you connect something (TiVo, TV, VCR, et cetera) that can tune analog cable channels 14 and up, unless they specifically put some sort of trap on the line when they uninstall your cable card and take away any digital cable boxes or tuning adapters....

I leave the rest to your imagination.