Switching DirecTV to Comcast - Why should I get a Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by El Gabito, Oct 12, 2011.

1. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...
    I have been a DirecTV customer for about 8 years or so. However at this point having separate bills is annoying and expensive (about $200 between DTV, Comcast (internet), and Vonage). We are looking to consolidate and save about $100/mo.

So my question is - why should I get the Tivo Elite (which I already purchased and is sitting in my living room unopened) vs a regular Comcast box? What do I gain? Honestly it's been awhile since I've used the Tivo (and it was a DTV Tivo) so I don't really miss it or remember what is different.

Also, is it just me or does $20/mo PER tivo seem pricey?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

edit: also - is there any definitive word on when the Preview will be out? Shocking that it didn't launch at the same time.

2. razor237

razor237 Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Jackson, NJ
    Kind of a hard answer to give i think...

1St Question is do you need/Must have VOD/IO Channels Offered by Comcast? If you do then TiVo isnt a good choice since you cant get those services on the TiVo box, now they do offer alternatives like Amazon Instant, Netflix & Hulu, but not the same as what Comcast has.

2nd Question is do you have a need for 4 tuners in one box , for me im replacing two TiVo's with one box. with the stock Box you would need two unless they have 4 tuner boxes and one thing i like with two TiVo boxes i was able to just use one to record shows and could use MRV to watch the shows on the other box not sure if you can do that with the boxes they offer but with a 4 tunner box thats not much of a big deal.

That aside i love the TiVo UI, blows away any stock cable co's boxes "IMO" atleast the ones i have used. I like the abilities to be able to transfer shows to my pc/Ipad for viewing at work and stuff.

The price is a bit high for the monthly service but i would get the Life Time instead of monthly pays for it self in two years, sounds like a long time but mine have paid off for my S3 & Premiere same will be for the elite since i think it like $15 or so a moth for a HD DVR box with optimum for each box vs the $2 cable card fee. If i were paying for two boxes at the price they charge i would have paid for a few lifetimes already.

just my rambling 2 cents :)

3. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...
    Isn't VOD coming at some point from cable providers?

2nd - yes ideally we'd be replacing two DTV HDDVRs (two tuners each). It's certainly not frequent but we do sometimes go over the two tuner limit. It'd be nice to just not have to worry about it and have one central scheduling place.

Only problem is I'm really wishing I had details on the Preview (cost, subscription, etc).

At this point if I sign w/ Comcast my setup will be Elite in main room, Comcast HD DVR in main room (for VOD), and another unit upstairs (DVR not necessary, but nice).

My "ultimate" setup is pretty simple Elite in main room and Preview upstairs. That's why I wish I knew the cost of the Preview so I could figure out the total cost.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    At this time, it is not known that the Preveiw will be sold to consumers (unless I am missing something- I sometimes miss stuff), so I would not count on the Preveiw.

5. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...
    Seems so backwards.