Switched to HD television

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ellensatter, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Ellensatter

Ellensatter New Member

Jul 21, 2015

Advertisements

i just upgraded to an HD television. I have a TiVo Premiere box, so my season passes are now one passes. I have a lot of passes, and I'd like them or record from the HD versions of the channels now. For example, The Last Ship now records on TNT, do I have to delete the pass and add a new on for TNTHD?

I thought I saw some thing that said it would record HD versions of shows when it could, but that doesn't look like it's happening.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Deselect the SD channels. If the 1P is set to a specific channel I think you will have to recreate it, sorry.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I don't think recreate is the right word. At worst, just go in and modify by changing the channel. It could be that by deleting the SD channel, it will automatically change to the HD channel. I've deleted all my SD channels so it's too hard for me to test.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Perhaps, but if I enable the SD channel it is not an option to change a 1P channel. I can select All channels and HD Only, so maybe that would work.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

If the program is going to be broadcast in the next two weeks (that is, if it's in the guide data) and the HD version of the TNT channel is checked as a channel you receive, then you'll be able to change the channel of an existing OP to the HD channel. If it doesn't see a broadcast to record in the data, the only thing you can do is set it to "All Channels" and mark your SD channels as not available. Telling it to require HD only works sometimes, because not all programs broadcast as HD are marked as such in the guide data. The HD flag has become useless, you can't count on it any more.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Agreed. I set the option to "if possible" and have unchecked all my SD channels.

7. Ellensatter

Ellensatter New Member

Jul 21, 2015
    And by uncheck inc the SD channels you mean in settings, right?

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Right. Settings, Channels, Channel list. Usually the lower block is SD. My SD 2 to 99 is a mirror of my HD 502 to 599. Some systems don't have SD channels or will automatically take you to an HD channel even if SD is selected. You can always manually select any channel. While you're in the list, a thumbs up will let you to make it a favorite and you can set the guide to only display favorites.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Let me expand on the guide, since it is really the best part of a TiVo. This is from a previous post:

I guess I have an oddball cable feed. When I activate my card, the only enabled channels are the ones I pay for. No dead channels, no unavailable, no problems. While I do get music and SD channels, it only takes one pass through the "Channel list" to clear them out. The cable feed does grouping so that all the SD channels are 2 to 100, the music is 400's and the HD is 500's so not much is needed. The premium channels are 200, but I don't pay for that. When there are free premium weekends I do have to manually make them favorites or make the guide display my channels. C-SPAN is in my channels, but its not in my favorites.

I once tried to do a "scan" and it told me no. I still get the emails about channel changes that don't affect me, but nothings perfect. I also know what channels I like and which I will never watch. So there is a guide which gives you "all" as in all the cable feed contains, "my channels" as in what you have checked, and "favorites" that displays what is given a thumbs up. This whole process takes less than 30 minutes. It works great unless you have special needs. My guide has the 20 favorite shows I like and it's been that way for a long time. I don't know how it can be improved. Well, maybe it could only show what's been indexed so a 1P doesn't show "not available." I would love it if we could add our own categories also.

The discovery bar will not pay attention to your channel selection, depending on what option you select for its contents.