Switched from Legacy TWC to Spectrum and already getting billing surprises ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by LYKUNO, Oct 19, 2018.

1. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Ohio

Advertisements

I recently (just last month - September) made the decision to switch from our NE Ohio legacy TWC cable TV service with Showtime premium channels and 30/5Mb internet to Spectrum's Silver TV and 100/10Mb internet package. We also opted for Spectrum's "Digi Tier 2" channels to get several channels that weren't included in the Silver package that we thought we'd like.

Our monthly bill from TWC was $161.89. After the change to Spectrum, we started paying $170.83, approximately $9/month more. We felt this was reasonable given the number of new channels we got, along with the inclusion of Cinemax and HBO (we already had Showtime). The 100/10Mb internet (Spectrum's basic offering) was a bonus.

We just received our second monthly bill since the change, and were surprised to see a notice that our next bill in November will increase by $5.00 for the internet (from $54.99 to $59.99), and the "Broadcast TV Surcharge" will also increase by $1.10 (from $8.85 to $9.95). This equates to an increase of ~$72/year. Yeah, they tout there a no more contracts or promotional pricing, but we really feel like Spectrum pulled a bait and switch on us. We will seriously consider dropping some of the channels we subscribed to (e.g., Digi Tier 2) and possibly will downgrade from Spectrum Silver to Spectrum's Select offer (which is $20 less than Silver).

We also discovered that there's not much worth watching on Cinemax and HBO, and most of Showtime's programs are not that great either. We don't like being held hostage to a cable company, and Spectrum's sneaking in higher monthly costs for their internet and miscellaneous fees a month after we switched is frustrating. Not sure how they expect to maintain a customer base and prevent losses from cord cutters when they pull stuff like this.

2. ClayKY

ClayKY Member

Aug 23, 2005
    KY
    Spectrum Raising Rates Again ·

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    This is just Spectrum's regular price increases. Everyone will get hit with these same rate increases.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Oh Jolly! On Spectrum here. Currently have the $8.85 broadcast tv charge, obviously about to go up, and has increased ridiculously in the last few years. OP was already getting a better deal on their 100/10 internet. Ours is $64.99 reduced to $54.99 by bundling discount -- or is that what OP had, which means our internet is going up another $5 too? You can't win -- cutting cable TV doesn't net you much savings either, especially with Spectrum's high internet prices (and they are our only source for internet). Looks like you have to settle for OTA plus DVD's and Books from the library if you want to avoid the great American entertainment rip-off.

5. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Ohio

Advertisements

Yeah, we were getting the bundling discount on the internet -- the same $64.99 reduced to $54.99 by bundling with Spectrum TV. So that $10 bundling savings is now cut in half as the internet is going to $59.99 starting next month.

We're too rural for OTA (without erecting a tall mast and directional antenna) and are not going to give up our TiVos (with lifetime) for U-verse. We could easily downgrade from Spectrum Silver TV to Spectrum Select and simply drop all the premium channels, where there's not much we watch anyway (mainly bad movies and other programs we have little interest in watching). Counting the Silver Plan with 253 channels (including premiums SHO, CINEMax, HBO, DigiTier 1 and optional DigiTier 2, we have well over 300 channels available to us. That said, and including the ~20ish premium channels, we only have programmed in 50 channels into our TiVo channel list. And it seems like whenever we scroll through our channel guide of those 50 channels looking for something worth watching, there seems to be very little to choose from.

6. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    the broadcast tv charge on dish is 12.00 a month

7. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I just dumped Dish for Spectrum. Dish jumped $40.00 a month after my 2-year commitment ended. Cable was actually about $60.00 a month less (including the discount on my internet.) I don't think I'll get the new rates until Oct 2019. But if I do... Still less than Dish. PLUS... back to TIVO again. Spectrums 2 channel DVR sucks.

8. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    no it isn't. Thats the cost for locals. If you don't want locals and prefer to use an antenna then there is no charge.

Oh and by the way....here in Minnesota Mediacom charges 12.40 for their "broadcast surcharge"
    09/14 - 10/13 Local Broadcast Station Surcharge 12.40

osu1991 likes this.
  9. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    well that's what the seat warmer at dish told me the locals were 12.00 a month. but i trust dish as far as a could through em now!!!

10. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Yes locals are $12 a month but if you choose not to have them (and be OTA for your locals) then its a $12 savings....unlike cable where you are required to have them and then be subject to their ever growing broadcast fee. I've had cable for less than a year and have been subject to 3 broadcast fee raises.
    11.18 when I started...actually when I signed up they said it was 8.08 but never got a bill with that fee
    11.79 in March
    12.40 in September

Gee no wonder why they sucker you into their bundles. It was 44.99 for internet only or 39.99 for internet and lifeline cable (locals/shopping/public access). Its those fees that get ya. And even if you have a "contract" those are not subject to a freeze (taxes/fees)

11. bhoch99

bhoch99 Member

Jan 21, 2003
    These types of price increases are why I'm glad I own 2 Tivos, I'm saving $ by not paying for cable boxes. Also, I'm told that if you have TWC/Spectrum internet, you can use the TWC/Spectrum app via Roku and get most if not all of the channels without a cable box. I use DSL via phone co. for network, so this doesn't work for me. I'm still on the legacy TWC channel plan here in central NH which is seemingly cheaper than going to one of the newer Spectrum packages. My local provider switched off analog cable last week, so I no longer get channels my old set. Sometimes I wish it were like the old days, just plug the cable direct into your TV, no box required...

12. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Well that was the point of CableCard. But the cable companies made that hard enough to use that nobody ever used the CableCard slots in TVs so the TV manufacturers dropped those before FCC mandates made them a little bit better. And now with SDV those TVs that did have CableCard slots aren’t usable with CableCards anymore.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you pay for their streaming package, which with broadcast charge and fees comes to more than $30/mo. And you don't get "most if not all" channels. You get to choose either 10 or 20 channels.

Here in Dayton OH the local news just announced that Spectrum's broadcast fee is increasing by one dollar, to $9.85 and internet for cable TV subscribers is increasing by $5.00. Strangely, internet for internet-only subscribers is increasing by only one dollar.

Aside from these details, Spectrum's prices for all their services are outrageous, reflecting the fact they have a local monopoly on cable TV and high speed internet.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  14. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Sounds like Spectrum is trying to kill their "cable TV subscriber" golden goose.

15. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Too true, now my 15 year old Sony TV with cablecard is obsolete.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Big news: any 15-year old consumer electronics device is obsolete. :p

17. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Obsolete for cablecard but as an antique 32" plasma TV it is still terrific!

18. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    so in the town about 20 miles down the road there is actual cable competition. Spectrum (the old Charter) and Consolidated (the Telco there formerly HickoryTech)...so I looked at the broadcast surcharge for both

Spectrum is 8.85 (not bad)
    Consolidated...25.30!!!!! No I'm not making that up
    $25.30/month Broadcast Retransmission Fee applicable to Digital TV service. This fee recovers charges by local channel providers and networks, such as, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and others, to carry their signal in order to provide local programming.
    So what good is a 64.90 promo rate for internet and cable when the fees are 36.45 added on (11.15 for a internet fee and the aforementioned broadcast fee)

Good lord!

19. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Arrrgh! Make it stop ...

upload_2019-2-13_9-19-16.png

OrangeCrush and Nony_ID like this.
  20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Same notice on our 2/5/19 invoice. Will this be the straw? PSVue via my Fire TV looks more attractive every day. Probably won't save much money but at least be rid of CableCARD and TA.