Switched Digital Video (Garden State-Comcast)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by timstack8969, Mar 20, 2010.

1. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004

Advertisements

I ordered a New TIVO Premiere a few weeks ago and sent an e-mail to comcast customer service concerning "SDV" being used in my comcast area (Garden State). They replied back by saying "SDV" is being used in my area I will need the adapter with my TIVO XL Premiere. Can anyone confirm this for comcast of Garden State?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Any area that has SDV from my understanding would need a tuning adapter to receive any of the channels broadcast on switched video. I believe if you figure out what channels those are and you don't record those you can get away with not having an adapter. You will find more info in the series 3 forums on it since in this regards the TiVo hasn't changed.

3. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The good news is that even if you have to use a tuning adapter, you should be okay with Comcast. I believe a vast majority of TA related problems are seen in Time Warner, Cablevision and Brighthouse markets.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Shouldnt the cable cards be all that is needed?

5. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

It depends where you live. If your provider is using SDV for some channels, you will need a TA in order to have access to them.

6. Klankster

Klankster Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Port...
    Seriously, after the months and months of agonizing tuning adapter-related problems I've had with my Series3 Tivo, I'd never get a box that depends on a TA to receive content. I'm on TWC, and maybe that makes a difference, but OMG it has been awful. Signal dropouts, the TA goes offline and misses recordings, and every month at the end of the month, the TA's front-panel LED starts blinking and my service stops working until I call the TWC "Tier 3" service guy to reset the TA remotely. I had kind of hoped the Premiere didn't need the TA, but if it does, there's no way I'm going that route.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Wont they have to swap out every ones set top box for it to work?