Switch Tuners

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tomm1079, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 #1 of 11
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    When i try to switch tuners (by hitting LiveTV button) it brings up the guide. Does this happen to anyone else? With the TivoHD it switches turners when you hit the live tv button.

I am using the HDUI.

2. May 9, 2010 #2 of 11
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Something triggered your TiVo's backwards-comparability remote control feature. (really old style TiVo remotes didn't have a separate guide button, they had a combined LiveTV/Guide button.)

If you are using a universal remote try selecting a different code for TiVo support.
    If you're using a peanut remote pressing the TiVo button and/or the Guide buton should let the TiVo know that you have a new-style remote and cause it to disable the back-compat feature and restore your ability to swap tuners using LiveTV.

3. May 9, 2010 #3 of 11
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    oh wow. Did not know about that. It has been bugging me for a week now and i just finally posted!

Thanks alot...Tivo button then pressing guide in the menu fixed it

4. cliffdwelling

cliffdwelling New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Tucson
    Same thing happened to me, thanks for posting. Problem solved

5. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    weird part for me is it keeps happening. Every few days it goes back into this mode. What normally triggers this?

6. rucka

rucka Member

May 14, 2007
    bringing up guide again. tried the fixes (tivo button then guide) still not working :(

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    What triggers this is using an old TiVo remote on a newer TiVo. This includes a universal remote which uses old TiVo remote codes as well as learning remotes which were "taught" from an old TiVo remote.

8. Apr 7, 2011 #8 of 11
    ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Sorry to revive this thread (it isn't THAT old)...but, are there certain keys that specifically can be reprogrammed if one has their universal remote set on an old set of codes to avoid this problem, or do I have to start all over? I have several mapped buttons that I'd rather not reprogram.

And for your typical All-in-one remote without JP1 pins, is it easy to tell which codes are which?

9. Apr 7, 2011 #9 of 11
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I just figured all the remotes were the same, so when I got a Series 3 after having Series 1s and 2s for years, I just used one of the older ones. One reason was because my Humax DVD needed to have two remotes because the Humax remote didn't work so good, but I needed to use it because the standard remote didn't have the DVD buttons on it.

Thanks for the info

10. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    AFAIK it is the LiveTV and Guide buttons which cause the problem. They need to be programmed from a newer remote.

11. leevick

leevick New Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Are there any other ways to get things back to normal? I have a Series 3, a slide controller, and an older remote that we just pulled out of the closet to use as a spare controller. Since we've started using it we've seen the issue where the Live TV/swap button on the slide remote isn't swapping tuners but is instead bringing up the guide. I've tried pressing the Tivo button on the new remote, then the Live TV (or Tivo then the guide button). I've tried hitting them at the same time. I've tried the same thing on the older remote. Nothing seems to restore proper operation (i.e. switching tuners when I press the Live TV button on the slide remote). Help, please! Thanks.