Switch Comcast to Fios, must I change channels prior to install?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Alan05, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Alan05

Alan05 New Member

Aug 22, 2020

Advertisements

Please accept my thanks in advance for any response from the experts in the forum. I searched in the forum and have not seen the below questions covered before.

I currently have Comcast, and have one Bolt and one Edge. To obtain one cable card from Comcast took at least ten hours of my time, with another 2 hours to get it activated and working. Comcast customer service is the worst of any company I have ever dealt with, of any type.

Due to the incompetence of their customer service, I am switching to Verizon FiOS on Tuesday for TV, phone and internet. More channels, much faster internet, and $90 less per month.

However, I have also spent hours on the phone with Verizon FiOS to get simple questions answered. The Fios tech support is only slightly more competent than Comcast. They are both poor in that regard.

I am skeptical that the Verizon Fios installer will show up with two cable cards, and if he doesn't, the install will be cancelled and I will stay with Comcast.

I therefore would prefer to keep everything intact with Comcast until after the Fios install is done. My phone number will not be ported to Fios until the very end. That way, if the FiOS installer fails to bring the cable cards, my Comcast channels and Comcast Season Passes are still intact.

QUESTION: Can I leave the two Tivos set up for Comcast channels (and leave my To Do list and Season Passes intact) until after Fios is installed? Under this scenario, during the FiOS installation, I would pull out the Comcast cable cards and install new Fios cable cards and then activate the Fios cards. At that point the Tivos are still set up for Comcast channels. Would I be able to tell if Fios is working by checking stations by channel number? And do all of that while the Tivos are setup for Comcast? (I realize the numbers will report the Comcast names.)

Then after Fios is installed, run the setup to switch providers from Comcast to Fios.

QUESTION: Or, must I run the Tivo setup prior to the arrival of the Fios installer, and set Tivo up for Fios channels -- and do so PRIOR to inserting the Fios cable cards and activating them?

(The Tivo setup takes long enough that IMHO it must be done in advance if that is necessary. I can't expect an installer to sit here for 30 minutes while that happens, so it must be done in advance.

Under this second scenario, if Verizon fails to bring cable cards, and blows their chance to get a new customer, I would then run the Tivo setup to restore the Comcast channels, as the Comcast cable cards would still be in the Tivos. Would they still be activated after all of that? I assume so. Under that scenario, I assume I would have lost some or all of my Comcast Season Passes, due to switching back and forth from Comcast to FiOS and back to Comcast, and would have to recreate them all.

Bottom line is that I would like to leave everything set up for Comcast prior to the arrival of the Fios installer, and keep my options open in case the Verizon FiOS installer shows up without two cable cards. And run the setup for Verizon FiOS after his departure. That keeps my options open.

But it means inserting and activating Verizon cable cards while the Tivos are set up and programmed for Comcast channels.

Would that work?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You will need to rerun guided setup and tell it to use Verizon, no way around that, but you can do that after you have installed and paired the new CableCARDS

3. Alan05

Alan05 New Member

Aug 22, 2020
    Diane,

Many thanks!! So, just to be clear, I will leave the Bolt and Edge Tivos set up for Comcast. Then pair and activate the Fios cable cards. And I will be able to tell if the Fios cards are working by just selecting various channel numbers that work with Fios? Again, I realize that the Tivos will be confused and report Comcast channel names, but the Fios channels themselves will work and broadcast on the Tivos, even when programmed for Comcast, confirming that the cable card pairing and activation worked.

Correct?

Then, after the Fios installer is gone, I will run guided set up for Fios. (Which definitely retains all of my recordings. Based on reports in the forum, it may or may not retain my season passes or To Do list.)

Many thanks again. That means I will retain Comcast and do nothing, and wait to see if the installer shows up with two cable cards. I am still skeptical, since most installers don't read the fine print on an order, although the instruction to bring cable cards -- or the install will be cancelled -- is in all CAPS. To quote Fios tech support, "sir, the installer would have to be blind to not see that."

4. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Prepare to be disappointed, it's never truly easy with most installers since they see so few CableCARDS, but with Verizon and calling the dedicated CableCARD hotline I've never had an issue with the 20+ I've installed over the past 12 years. Those 12 are not due to any failures, but to my swapping every few years to RCN and back again with 5 units that need CableCARDS.

5. Alan05

Alan05 New Member

Aug 22, 2020

Advertisements

Is the dedicated Fios CableCard hotline the same as the general Fios activation line which is 1-888-897-7499? If it is a different number, do you know what it is?

6. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's the CableCARD specialty line, yes.