Swapping Power on Humax?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by kjledford, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kjledford

kjledford New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    I have a Humax with a loose power cord connector and I can buy a new Humax for just $40. I was going to buy the new unit and just swap the power supply - is this hard? Meaning, any soldering? I'm sure I can crack the case and just unplug things, I used to build computers like 10-15 years ago - but never had to swap power supplies before...

Thanks!

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    If you get the same or similar model (DRT-400 and DRT-800 use the same power supply). It's not hard at all to replace the power supply.

WARNING! The power supply is not shielded in any way and it is possible to get a nasty shock from the large capacitors. It takes a while for these to discharge their power after the unit has been running. They can also get hot.

The power supply is easy to remove. There are about 4 screws on the circuit board and one screw holding it to the back of the TiVo. FYI, the screws have Torx heads on them. There is also a couple other cables, a ribbon cable and power cables for the drives.

The biggest problem lately with the power supplies has been bad capacitors, which can be seen with bulges and/or leaking. The symptoms are slow responses to remote presses, random reboots and odd video. Replacing the bad capacitors will usually fix the problems.

Good luck and be careful.

robomeister

3. kjledford

kjledford New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Thanks for that! I will shut down the original one this morning and give it the day. Its not in daily use so I'm not in a huge rush. You know I forgot to ask if the "new" one was a DRT400 or DRT800... as long as its the same power supply for $40 its all good I guess!

I did find the self install intruction over at weaknees (spellling?) I will post the results for those who come after me =)

Thanks
    Kristina

4. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Just to add a little confusion factor and/or clarification, the power supplies from the following Tivos are interchangeable:

Humax DRT-400
    Humax DRT-800
    Toshiba RS-TX20
    Toshiba RS-TX60

The Toshibas also have Lifetime Basic, so they are a little more valuable than the Humaxes. But I have interchanged power supplies between these models with no problems.

Lifetime Basic is what a lot of people want on their TiVos. It is basically a VCR mode for the TiVo. You get the guide info for 3 days vs 14 days and can pick individual shows to record. But you don't get any Season Passes or Wishlists, no TiVoToGo, no NetFlix, etc. Just manual recording and trick play. But Lifetime Basic is only available on the Toshiba and Pioneer branded TiVos and cannot be transferred to anything else.

I haven't seen any capacitor plague problems with the Humax or Toshiba TiVos, or for that matter, the Pioneer TiVos. The power supply usually fails because of a power surge that pops something on the power supply board. I have a stack of bad power supplies for the Pioneer TiVos, wish I knew more about electronics so I can fix them.

Good luck on your power supply fix.

robomeister

5. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Power supplies are some of the simplest things to fix. Beings how you have good ones to compare the bad power supply voltages to, you can take a check of different areas of the power supply and see if they match with the good Tivo with a multimeter or oscilloscope. Course you could die if you touch the 110 input.
    Usually it is the electrolytic capacitors that go bad, as they dry out and overheat.
    You can work on them unpowered too if you are nervous about live voltage. But discharge the capacitors before working on them.

Too bad you live in Beltsville, MD instead of Denver, I would teach you how to work on them.