Swapping HD between Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by johnnye, Apr 11, 2006.

1. johnnye

johnnye New Member

Oct 18, 2005

Advertisements

I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but is it possible to just swap the HD from one working Tivo to another one (that isn't) without any modifications ie without having to plug it into my PC and mess about with it (= break it , knowing my luck :D ) ?

What happens to any current subscription? If the working Tivo is unsubscribed but the other one is fully paid up, when I swap the disks do I lose the subscription, or is it tied to some other piece of hardware?

Thanks for any help.

2. shanew

shanew UK TiVo Tweaker

Apr 11, 2003
    Baldock, UK
    The subscription is based on an ID embedded into a chip on the motherboard.

So if neither have any modifications you should be able to do a straight swap of the hard drives.

3. johnnye

johnnye New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Excellent news - thank you very much. So I should be able to get the main Tivo up and running before the Simpsons this evening and get a new hard drive for the other one at my leisure - a household with no Tivo does not bear thinking about! This way the kids may be talking to me again :)

4. mike0151

mike0151 A Friend of Dot

Dec 13, 2001
    Liverpool,...
    Beware though that the first time either TiVo dials up, the correct details will be transferred from the chip to the disk. Your unsubbed TiVo will remain unsubbed and your subbed TiVo stays subbed.

HTH
    Mike