Swapping Hard drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by klyde, Apr 1, 2021.

1. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...

Advertisements

I have a OTA bolt that just died, I also have another OTA Bolt with out sub. Can I just swap the drives and reactivate the good one and watch the recordings on the drive?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, hard drives can’t be swapped between TiVo DVRs like that; the recordings are locked to the DVR on which they were recorded. Their only way off the DVR is via TiVo MRV (transfers) or one of the PC download utilities ... all of which require the DVR to be functioning.

Further, a given BOLT can’t even try another hard drive without rendering the prior drive inaccessible. (Though I believe this does require the BOLT booting to a certain level before the system hits a state where the prior drive would be viewed as foreign.)

3. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    How about a bit by bit clone from one HD to another?

4. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Much depends on what you mean by the current OTA "died". No power, flashing lights, something else? If drive went bad then that's pretty much it for the recordings. If power supply you could be ok with a new PS. Cloning will not allow the drive to be used in a DIFFERENT Bolt even if same model but MIGHT work in the original if an exact CLONE (not a copy) IF the original drive is not totally shot.

UCLABB and krkaufman like this.
  5. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...

Advertisements

There is NO separate power supply, its integrated on the main board which there is 1. The drive is good. That is not the cause of the problem. I also found out that the ethernet port that the Bolt was connected to is also shot as well as the input on my AV amp.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    BOLTs come with a wall-wart power adapter. The suggestion is to try replacing the power adapter. (I figure you’ve already tried that, given you have another BOLT on-hand.)

Yeah, that doesn’t bode well.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  7. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Well as someone mentioned the power supply is the AC adapter with a Bolt. But if you tried the adapter from the other Bolt that is not the problem. If the drive is good and the Bolt boots up you should be able to access the recordings through Tivo Online. You could watch the shows that way I believe or transfer to your other Bolt if both active and on same account (can transfer non copyrighted shows.) I think Wifi is enough to use Tivo Online? Not sure what you mean about the ethernet port, you say the port the Bolt was connected TO is shot, not the Bolt's ethernet port? And input on on AV amp is bad, have you tried hooking up the Bolt direct to the TV? Cannot swap the drive and watch the shows though as mentioned, though if drive is good it can be formatted and used fresh.

8. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    The ethernet port on my router extension (5 port) is now unusable, only the one hooked to the Bolt. The input on my AV amp is also now bad. I have tried it with my DTV and it wont sense it.