SWAPPING HARD DRIVE

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by CATBIRD2, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:19 PM.

1. CATBIRD2

CATBIRD2 New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    I have 2 ea roamio OTA bought 1 year ago model TDC846000V. I have a replacement on the way from TIVO because of an issue of not being able to connect to TIVO to get the guide info. This is the second time having to do this. My question is can I remove the HD from the one being sent back so we can keep our recorded shows and put the new HD back in the one I'm sending back. They get there box box with a new HD, just not sure it will work. Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. The drive is mated to its TiVo. Using TiVo Online, you may be able to transfer any non-copyprotected content to the other Roamio. I assume you are running TE4.

3. CATBIRD2

CATBIRD2 New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    W
    What is TE4, I had been reading about copying the files but then just thought this would be much easier. Thanks for your reply.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Go to TiVo.com and Chat. Or look around this forum. It's the New Experience. If you have a horizontal bar and the TiVo button takes you to Home, then you are using TE4.

Also: TE3 vs TE4 - why do you like/dislike one vs the other?

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    In system Information:

V21+ is TE4 or Hydra and makes it hard to transfer shows between Tivos and PC. There isn't PC-to-Tivo anymore.

V20+ is TE3: It still allows transfers between Tivos & PCs. PC-To-Tivo still works with Tivo Desktop (with updated security certificates, Tivo no long supports), or PyTivo.

Tivo drives are paired and encoded to the original Tivo, so any shows are not readable when its implanted into another Tivo or to PC. It also will not record. To be able to record, Clear & Delete Everything must be run, which removes everything already on the drive.

6. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Any you void warranties.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Yes and no, Tivo has never really cared a lot unless you ask them to diagnose or repair a machine with a replacement drive since they know which machines have drives replaced in them.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    There also is a position that the law negates the voiding of a warranty where a self-repair relates to a different aspect of the product.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    However a Tivo is listed as a consumer product with no consumer repairable items inside, self-repair would not apply in that case even though I'm sure many here would like it to.