Swap Hard Drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jwuq1234, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 20
    jwuq1234

jwuq1234 New Member

Dec 25, 2005

Advertisements

I have 2 tivos. One of the tivos has a loud hard drive. Can I take the hard drive out of the good tivo and use it to replace the one with the loud hard drive? .... With out having to do any programing or anything? I was going to cancel one anyways. The problem is the one that has the loud hard drive has a life time subscription on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 20
    funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    This would work if the TiVo units are exactly the same model. You will lose any recordings on the disk and have to rerun guided setup on the lifetime unit.

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 20
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If the The Tivos in question are both SA S2 Tivos and the first three digits of the model number after the TCD part are the same (TCD540040 & TCD540080) you can swap the drives, but you can't keep the recordings. You have to do a 'clear and delete everything' to get the swapped drive to function in the new machine.

If both Tivos are Philips branded SA S1s, all you have to do is swap the drives and your good to go.

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 20
    jwuq1234

jwuq1234 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Both of my tivos are Made by tivo with a model # of TCD240040. I went ahead and did the swap but now the tivo with life time subscription says it can not do any recordings or download listings due to a hardware failure. It asked me to Restart the system, which I did, and still the same thing. It also says something about activation???

HELP! :mad:

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 20
    thezoo

thezoo New Member

Oct 26, 2003

Advertisements

Do a Clear and Delete Everything. after that run through GS again.

that should fix the problem.

--Bill

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 20
    jwuq1234

jwuq1234 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    What is GS?

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Guided setup. It will automatically begin that after the necessary C&DE.

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Like I said...

9. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The machine with the lifetime sub will always have its sub.

If you put a new drive into it, TiVo's server should still identify it as the same machine. You can put the drive from another machine into it (with the provisos described above), or you could put a brand new drive in and keep both machines...

...but you did say you were canceling one anyway.

10. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    I had a similar problem on my DirectTivo; transferred a drive with recorded shows over to an identical box. I had to do a clear-and-delete everything to get it to work correctly, but I'm curious about *why*? Moving between identical hardware platforms why wouldn't the new box be able to read the shows recorded on the other box?

11. craigslist

craigslist New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    how about series 1 units,the philips models can u interchange drives or swap them

12. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    As long as the first three digits of the TiVo service number are the same on the units, the drives can be moved between units. However, this will require a "Clear and Delete Everything" to be done on the TiVo once the drive is moved to a different unit.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Generally, on Series 1 Standalones, you don't need to C&DE.

14. craigslist

craigslist New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Thanks for alll the info guys :up:

15. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    ANY hard drive from ANY Philips SA S1 Tivo will work in ANY other Philips SA S1 Tivo regardless of the model number w/o having to do a C&DE.

16. betz

betz New Member

Jan 8, 2005
    I have a TCD240 tivo that is rebooting continuously. I have a hard drive from my other tivo that I upgraded that is TCD540. In order to put the 540 hard drive into the 240, do i need to reimage the drive? thanks for any help!

17. Taps

Taps New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Why do you have to do the C&DE if just moving drives from one Tivo to another if they are the exact same model?

I ask this becasue I recently had a TCD240 die on me. The HDD is fine, it was the rest that bit the dust. I found a TCD540 and upgraded the drive to a 300GB. I would like to be able to put the old drive in my other 240 and transfer the shows I have on there to the new 540.

I know the tivo programs are encoded by the media address. but is there something in the serial number that is preventing it from seeing the shows on the other drive?

18. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    The TiVo Service Number is in a chip on the motherboard and is unique to every TiVo box. The C&DE forces the software on the hard drive to "import" that TSN so that it shows correctly in the software. Without the C&DE, the software doesn't know what its TSN is, so it's not going to work right.

If you replace a drive with a software image that was created from that same box, you wouldn't have to do a C&DE because the TSN would be the same.

19. betz

betz New Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Can anyone help me out? :(

20. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    If the first 3 digits of the TSNs are different (which they are in your case), you will need a different image on the drive.