Swap hard drives between Premieres without reformat?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by drcharlie, May 17, 2019.

1. drcharlie

drcharlie Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I have two 6-year-old TiVo Premieres. When I got them, I swapped out the original drives for 3-TB drives that I used software to format.

One of my Premieres is deactivated. The other has Lifetime. My plan is to just keep using the one with Lifetime and keep the one without service for parts.

Since the unit I use is 6 years old, it is possible that the hard drive could fail. If it fails, I know I could just pop in the original 500-GB hard drive. Could I also just swap in the 3-TB hard drive from the deactivated (no service) Premiere and reset it? Or to use a drive that was installed in another TiVo unit, does one have to first reformat that drive? If I would have to reformat, I'd have to find the software again and also find suitable hardware.

If the drives are easily swappable, then it's probably quite useful for me to keep the deactivated Premiere. If not, I could consider trying to sell the hardware (if there's a market for that).

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The unused drive is probably fairly far out of date. That might cause problems if you insert it in to the Activated TiVo.

Make sure you have a backup of your OnePasses using KMTTG and I'd copy off to your preferred Network Storage Solution any shows your hoarding, but not watching...

-KP

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The drives can be swapped provided they are from the same model, but you have to run Clear & Delete Everything. This would marry the drive to this Tivo.

Alternatively, get a WD Red drive, a larger one for more show storage and recording space. (say 3TB) Use MFSTools 3.x to backup/restore to this.

4. drcharlie

drcharlie Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Thank you very much for the advice!

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If concerned about your Lifetimed DVR’s drive dying, I’d recommend periodically using MFSTools (or disk cloning gear) to backup the working drive to the unused 3TB drive ... allowing you, in the event of primary drive failure, to drop the backup drive in and get viewing.

If looking to sell the unused Premiere, you’d want to get a stock 500GB drive working in that unit.