swap hard drive from two DT series 2 models?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by replaytv, May 21, 2011.

1. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I posted this question over in ebay forum, but no one answered my questions. I guess because that is the wrong place for it. But anyway....
    I am getting ready to list a lifetimed Series 2 DT 80 gig Tivo on ebay, but I also have a non lifetimed 180 Dual Tuner Series 2 and wonder if I can move the drive over to the one with a lifetime service? I have done that before with Series 2 Tivos of the exact same drive size and model number and didn't have any trouble as long as I defaulted (Cleared and deleted everything) in both systems. Everything that I read in this community makes me think that I can do this, but I didn't want to ruin two perfectly good Tivos. I don't know how to do all the doing the putting imaging on drives and such and can't learn to do that right now.

My second question is how do I use a stock photo on Ebay? I don't see any option to do that. I haven't done any ebay selling for about 10 years and now I remember why. I really hate ebay.

2. kazz244

kazz244 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Not the dual tuner model. They would have 2 have the same first 3 digits of the model number the same, and I believe they're different.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Completely disregard what kazz244 posted.
    You can swap the hard drives just like any other S2 drive swap that you've done in the past. But I wouldn't do it. The larger drive will make no real difference to the value of the unit with lifetime and the one with no subscription will benefit more if it has the larger hard drive.

4. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    It is difficult to know for sure because of all the different variables, but looking at past listing on ebay, it appears that a installed 180 gig drive is going for about $50 more than a 80 gig drive for a 649 DT Series 2.
    One TiVo Series 2 TCD649180 Receiver with a wireless adapter only sold for $15, a price too low to make it worthwhile to even list.
    But 'buy it now' listings are really not a good judge of value in my estimation as it only takes one person to buy a 'buy it now' but if there is a bidding war that takes place that tells me that there is a demand for something out there among many people.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TiVo-Series-2-T...524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb79e67b4
    listing is odd, as it shows a 80 gig drive, but sold for over $300. Something I find hard to explain, other than it ended on a Saturday when more people were available to be caught up on a bidding war. Which makes listing a item on ebay so it ends on the weekend important to get the most for your item in my estimation.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I think scandia's advice is good. You might get more with the 180GB, but probably not depending on the phase of the moon etc. I have 4 S2DTs (3 from TiVo with 80GB drives and 1 from eBay with a dead drive) and could have cared less what they had in them because I dropped 500GB drives in them as soon as I opened the box.

In any case, as long as they are both 649s you can swap the drives. Just run a C&DE to clear the error 51 message and marry the drive to the crypto chip.

6. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I keep forgetting how most people in this forum 'up' the size of the hard drives. I haven't done that with any of mine, probably because I can't see any difference watching The Big Bang Theory in the highest quality or the lowest on my SD TVs from the stone age. So I record everything in the lowest quality except if it is sports. And I delete most everything after watching it.

I hate to spend an hour moving drives around if not needed. Maybe I will give the buyer the option for me to do it if they want for $20 more. $40 more if they want the old box to use for parts with shipping included.