Swap broken bolt + for edge for $100?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by leiff, Apr 13, 2021.

1. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area

Advertisements

My bolt + 3tb 6 tuner i bought new in 2018 with lifetime just had a catastrophic hard drive failure. I hear loud grinding when powering on my bolt followed by flashing four lights. TiVo said they would swap my bolt with lifetime service for 2 tb Edge for $100. Wondering if I should do this or swap the hard drive in my bolt with a spare 3 terabit Toshiba Drive I have that's known to be compatible with bolts. I don't really care about the lower capacity of the edge, but I've been reading about trouble about transferring recordings to PC from Edge? I've been using kmttg integrated with my videoredo license for cutting commercials And archiving my shows on PC. Will this not work with Edge? Any other considerations I should make upon deciding to swap the hard drive in my bolt or swap the bolt for Edge?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you prefer the TE3 or TE4 interface?

3. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I prefer te4 thanks for asking, and yes I'm aware The Edge only works with te4. I preferred the guide of te3 but Auto skip mode was only working with te4 I think was the main reason I moved over to Te4. I think there were other advantages for te4 also I can't recall. I believe tuner allocation was Superior with te4 which will make a difference since I have a Tivo Mini on my network

krkaufman likes this.
  4. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    When I was talking to the TiVo service rep they said the charge for me should be 150 but they were knocking $50 of for me as a favor. Plus I have a sneaking suspicion if I swap the bolts hard drive and for some reason the bolt does not revive, TiVo would no longer do swap after the bolt plus has been opened.
    Can I get some opinions on Bolt versus Edge? I've never seen the edge in action myself, thx!

5. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014

Advertisements

If you are completely fine with TE4, then taking the Edge for $100 makes sense to me. The main things about the Edge that some users don’t like are all software related.

My Edge (Antenna model) runs great and I don’t worry about it running hot like the Bolt does. The apps I use on my Edge (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and Vudu) all load and run as fast as on any current model streaming stick.

However, why not swap the hard drive, see how it works, then make your decision?

6. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I have a sneaking suspicion if I open up the bolt, TiVo will no longer swap it for the edge. What I really need to know in order to make my decision is how well, or how not well the edge will work compared to my bolt which I'm already familiar with

7. tommiet

tommiet Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2005
    If a new hard drive does not work for you, put the old one back in and call Tivo and get the Edge.

mrsean likes this.
  8. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Are you inferring the bolts is superior to the having the edge? Thanks.
    Also I don't know if my fears are unfounded of Tivo not wanting to do the swap if they see I've opened up the bolt

9. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    If you are careful in opening up the device, a swap shouldn't be a problem. That said, I have two Edge's and am mostly happy with them. I say mostly because on one of the two I somehow 'lost' the PlutoTV app that I would sometimes use. Nothing I've tried so far (though always open to advice and suggestions, short of, for now, a Clear and Delete all reset please) has brought that app back. Otherwise the box works well and the Minis that I have are happy with it. (The other Edge works fine for all functions)

I might wish for more space on the Edge, but really it is sufficient most of the time.

I do still have a Bolt that supports either cable or Over-the-air Antenna and I use it for over-the-air recordings. It works well enough too. It is on TE4.

I miss some TE3 functionality when it comes to the guide, but otherwise have been happy with TE4.

For $100, I'd make the swap. It gets you to the latest hardware.

leiff likes this.
  10. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Unless you want a larger sized drive than is provided on the Edge, Edge is superior to a Bolt running TE4. Software and functionality is identical, but the Edge’s newer, faster hardware makes it a better product and doesn’t have the Bolt issue of running hot.

krkaufman and leiff like this.
  11. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thanks, these last two comments definitely push me towards the edge. So other than te3 not available, bolt doesn't Edge out the edge in anyway? I was concerned I wouldn't be able to transfer my recordings to PC with edge

12. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I haven't tried to make that transfer, not in a long time really. I did that once in a while in the past, and had used the ability to send over another recording that I could then watch via the TiVo, but again haven't done that in quite a while. If it worked with TE4 on the Bolt, it should work with the Edge though.

13. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I believe that is due to TE4 rather than any difference between the Bolt and the Edge. The Edge cannot be reverted to TE3, but otherwise it is pretty much functionally the same as a Bolt. The Edge has much better internal cooling, which is where the Bolt bites the wax tadpole.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    so close.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I was going to mention that BOLTs can support both OTA or CableCARD, but then remembered that the OP has a BOLT+ ... so a 6-tuner CableCARD-only box, which would be swapped for a 6-tuner CableCARD-only EDGE.

Swapping a 4-tuner OTA|CableCARD BOLT for a 2-tuner OTA-only EDGE would be a tougher sell, for me.

terpfan1980 likes this.
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is there a problem transferring recordings OFF of TE4, or EDGE DVRs? It works, generally, since that's the method brave adventurers have been using to retain/restore their content when rolling back to TE3 from TE4, following the required factory reset.

edit: p.s. Direct PC-to-TiVo transfers aren't possible under TE4 (but, as @snerd stated, that's not a BOLT vs EDGE difference).

snerd likes this.
  17. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    How much faster is Edge than Bolt percentage-wise? I think this should a factor too. I wouldn't pay $100 for an Edge that is only 10% speedier.

18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You can’t transfer content to a PC with the TE4 software running. Since the Edge can only use TE4, no transferring to PC.

19. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Are you sure? I thought the issue was you can't TTCB copy files from the PC to the Edge, but you could still copy off the Edge to the PC through various means.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Although not recently, I had no trouble transferring shows from my bolt to my PC running T4 software the last time i tried