sw10025's TCD240080 problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by unitron, Jan 1, 2012.

1. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Starting new thread to consolidate sw10025's S2 problems which got spread out over several threads.

So, sw10025, you have 2 TCD240080 TiVos?

You just got a single new power supply for that model?

You got upgrade drives for both from DVR_Dude, but apparently one is bad out of the box?

You mentioned having a 1TB Hitachi currently not in use.

As long as the LBA number is as big or bigger than the 1TB with which you're having trouble, we can use it as a temporary repository.

I'm guessing it's a 7200rpm drive and that the DVR_Dude drive is a cooler running 5400, so let's not use it as the permanent replacement drive in the TiVo.

Get the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org

You'll download the zip file, expand it to the .iso cd image, and burn it as an image to a CD-R.

Can you remove the SATA/IDE adapter from the "bad" drive without tearing things up?

The plan is to use dd_rescue from the MFS Live cd to do a byte for byte copy from the DVR_Dude drive to the Hitachi

Basic command is

dd_rescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

where sda is the source and sdb is the target.

Depending on what kind of hard drive ports your computer has, one of those might be an /hd"x"

But what I have in mind is to copy to the Hitachi and, if possible, using the adpater, put it into the TiVo, and if it works there, rescue any recordings.

Before doing the copy, take the problem 1TB drive, wrap a couple of layers of paper toweling around it, and stick it in the freezer overnight.

The paper towel keeps condensation from forming on the metal of the drive and lets you handle it after freezing without losing skin.

2. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    First question, LBA? I found this on the label of the Hitachi HD:

LBA: 1.953.525.168 sectors

does that help? I couldn't find anything similar on WD drive.

Here's what's on the Hitachi drive:

P/n: 0F10383
    MLC: JPT39C
    FW: 39C
    LBA: 1.953.525.168 sectors
    CHS: 16383/16/63
    Rated: 5V 450mA.12V 700mA
    SATA 3.0 Gb/s
    HDS721010CLA332
    RPM: 7200RPM
    Type: DS7SAC100

So yes, it appears to be 7200RPM

Here's what's on the WD Drive:

MDL: WD16EVDS - 63U8B1
    DCM: HGNNHV2CAB
    DCX: 2016UV186
    R/N: 771640
    1.0 TB
    5VDC 0.70A
    12 VDC 0.55A
    WWN: 50014EE206320021

By "expand it" I'm assuming you mean unzip it? Would a DVD-R do as well as a CD-R? I know I have the former, will have to hunt around for the latter.

Already done without damage. Had to remove it to put the old PATA drive in.

Is this something done as a DOS prompt command? How do I bring that up again? (I wasn't kidding when I said I was pretty ignorant of these things.)

I have USB 2.0 ports.

Should I put the paper-towel wrapped drive inside a ziploc bag, or only inside the paper towels? I'm afraid of blowing it by handling the drive wrong.

3. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Are you sure the model number on that WD isn't WD10EVDS?

If it is, it seems to have the same LBA number as the Hitachi.

There's a way to find out, using the MFS Live cd and a utility called hdparm.

You should only use hdparm as I direct you, 'cause it can do a lot of different things, depending on which options you specify, and it probably won't do like Windows and ask if you really, really want to do it before it goes ahead and does it.

Expand=unzip, as zip=compress

I do not know if writing a bootable cd image to a dvd results in a bootable disc or not, I guess you'll have to try it and give us the benefit of your pioneering.

With the MFS Live cd you boot the PC with it, bypassing the hard drive with Windows (or Linux or whatever Operating System you use) on it.

We want to leave your regular operating system out of this altogether.

It boots and loads a version of Linux into memory (as opposed to your hard drive booting and loading Windows into memory).

It gives you something similar to a DOS prompt.

It's called a command line interface, where you have to type in everything you want done, as with DOS, but some of the commands are different or have different names.

By hard drive ports I meant SATA and/or PATA ports, although if you have any way to connect SATA drives to USB ports we can work with that.

I'm assuming you have a PC and not a Mac.

As long as your freezer is working and not flooded with water you shouldn't need to seal the drive in anything.

The point of freezing it is to delay the point where using it heats it up enough to cause problems if heat causes it problems.

Since you don't know for sure if heat causes the problems (or aggravates them), might as well assume it does to be safe.

What I have in mind is to clone the WD to the Hitachi, put the Hitachi in the TiVo to see if you can copy the shows off via TiVo Desktop, and then when the replacement WD arrives you can put it into the TiVo and set the Hitachi aside.

If there are shows you want on the original drive which the WD was supposed to replace, we can clone that onto the Hitachi first, copy them, and then overwrite the clone with a clone of the WD and copy shows from it.

4. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Oops, you're right, my bad, I misread the number through the smoke colored protective sleeve.

I can find a CD-R, it'll just be a couple of years old, possibly more, since I so rarely use them.

I don't think I have anything like that. The computer I'm using now replaced a unit that broke after I was laid off, so I bought a very, very basic unit, much more basic than I would have bought if I had been working.

I have an external drive with slots for two HDs plugged in to one of my USB ports right now. Its a Thermaltake BlackX duet. I think this is the unit ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=725279&CatId=2785 ). Actually, the unit shown there is likely a slightly more updated unit than the one I have, but that gives you an idea what my setup is. If it helps, I currently have a HD that's the exact same as the blank one plugged into that external drive, its always plugged in, always on, and I touched it right now, and its a little warm, not hot. (I also have a fan strategically placed to blow on me, which would actually blow directly on the unit, should I ever be concerned it is necessary.)

(I bought the two Hitachi HDs at the same time after the dog got in the bedroom and knocked my previous external drive off the computer table, breaking the previous external drive and losing massive amounts of work I hadn't gotten around to backing up yet. Someone -- here I think -- told me I might be able to recover the broken PC HD contents if I replaced the outer part on the HD, and I had planned to attempt that by sacrificing one of the blank HDs and using that part on the broken Hitachi HD, but after I had to drop out of my computer repair class, hadn't done anything. But that's another story...)

Yup, I have a PC.

I already cleared off the old HD before I installed the new one, so that's not an issue.

Thanks again for all your help in this. I truly, truly appreciate it.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    AFAIK, you can burn an ISO sized for a CD-R, onto a DVD fine. I think I have done it for a 698 MB ISO, when I had only 650MB CD-RWs, but plenty of DVD-RWs.

6. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Okay, I have two more questions.

I'm assuming I should format the new blank hard drive before I use it?

I think I've successfully burned the image on to the DVD, and I've gotten the computer to recognize the external drive again, but at least initially, it doesn't seem to be recognizing the HD from the Tivo, which probably isn't a good sign. Any suggestions on how I can test that, or encourage the system to recognize the HD, assuming its not completely dead?

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's no need to format anything.

Do you have your computer open? Cover off, you can see the insides?

Or are you trying to do everything via USB adapters?

8. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    I was trying to do everything via USB adapters, but I couldn't get the computer to recognize the problem drive, no matter what I did. I think I'm going to have to return it, and expect the worse, that its not recoverable. :(

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Open up the computer, disconnect all the drives in it, connect the WD straight to a SATA port (and don't forget a SATA power plug) and turn on the computer, see if it gets detected in BIOS.