SVR-2000 Image Restore Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by agentpaul, Apr 11, 2011.

1. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    I'm trying to restore my backup image to my Sony SVR-2000. Unfortunately I made this backup back in 2000 and left myself with no instructions. I followed Weaknee's Interactive Guide but the restore command does not recognize the file name. I want to restore the image to the original 30gb drive plus a new 80gb drive I'll be adding.

It seems I have used a program called GZIP to compress my backup to 2 CDRs. On the 1st CDR, I have included a cryptic text file for myself that says

TIVO Backup 12/01/2000
    Virgin Backup
    Hard drive backuped before starting TIVO

AA - 718,274,560
    AB - 544,901,177

Using gzip -1c at 685mb command.

28629+1 records in
    28629+1 records out

Both AA & AB are the exact file names with no extension that I know of. AA is on Disc 1 and AB is on Disc 2.

The two HD I want to use are mounted on /hdc & /hdd (30gb & 80gb, on 2nd IDE controller). The DVD drives are /hdb & /hdc (1st IDE controller)

I was using mfstools2noJ.iso. The command I used was:
    mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt
    mfsrestore -r 4 -zpi /mnt/AA /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

which did not work.

Can anyone help me with the command(s) I need to use to restore this image to my SVR-2000?

Tyvm,
    Paul.

2. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    Looks like I might have a corrupted 2nd file.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you'd like, I can write up the stuff I think you might have done wrong and the stuff I know you did wrong.

In the meantime...

Was there anything super special about the stuff on the drive when you did that backup way back then?

If not, go here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6228202#post6228202

and grab the image in the link.

The MFS Live CD v1.4 will restore it just fine to a 30GB or larger drive, and it's the most recent S1 software, which means it's ready for an external modem or a turbonet or cache card.

You just need to run copykern on it so it can use drives bigger than 120GB.

Reply for instructions on that, if needed.

4. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    Thanks for the reply unitron. I would love to know what I did wrong if it's not too much trouble for you to type it up. I'm not surprised but quite disappointed I screwed up the original backup. I remember it was a lot of reading and printing out Hinsdale instruction and winging my way through using Linux for the 1st time.

Also thanks for the link. I dug through my box of old CDs and actually found another backup I did in 2003. It's probably when I added Turbonet. This backup surprisingly worked and now my Tivo is taking its time going through the updates. I did download a copy of the file off that link as it'll save a lot of time if I have to restore image for my friend again.

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't know if you screwed up the original backup or not.

I'm surprised that it would take 2 cds.

The backups I've done come out small enough that 2, maybe 3 could fit on one cd.

It seems to me that perhaps AA and AB are the first and second parts of one large file that need to be joined back together, perhaps on a big chunk of hard drive space, and I guess whatever program originally compressed and then split in two the backup would be necessary for that process.

As far as your attempt to restore:

The -p option is used to get a Series 2 partition layout. Not needed for a Series 1, and probably a good way to confuse it.

I would recommend restoring to one drive, testing it, and then expanding onto a second drive.

However, if you insist on doing both at once, you need the -x option.

You left out the -s option, which specifies the swap file size. Perhaps it'll do a default size one if you don't use the -s option, or perhaps it won't create one at all, which is not good.

Apparently you were trying to use the 2 hard drives intended to go into the Tivo, and you were trying to use 2 DVD drives in order to be able to read both cds.

If the hard drives are on the secondary controller, they'd be hdc and hdd.

If the DVD drives are on the first controller, they'd be hda and hdb. Neither of them would be hdc.

You don't indicate whether that old version of MFSTools created the /mnt directory itself or if you created it, but if you want to mount 2 drives (the DVDs) you need a mount point for each.

The way you have it written up, it looks like you tried to mount the first partition on one of the hard drives. Neither hard drive should have any of it's partitions mounted, because what you're trying to do with the restore command is write partitions to the drives, not write to already existing partitions.

And, of course, any existing partitions will be wiped out by the restore process anyway.

If you're going to mount something, you need to specify a file system type.

For something that's going to read a cd, it would be something like--

mount -t iso9660 /dev/(cd or dvd drive location) /(mount point)

The -t option specifies file system type. CDs use the iso9660 specification.

If you were mounting a hard drive partition it would be something like

-t Ext2 (for a Linux ext2 partition) or -t vfat (virtual file allocation table) for FAT32 partitions (and I think it'll work for FAT16, and maybe FAT12--floppy disks--as well, but don't bet the rent on that).

EDIT:

It seems that some versions of mount want to see -t Ext2 and some want to see -t ext2, so if you're trying to mount an Ext2 partition, if it doesn't work one way, try the other.

END EDIT

You might want to go to mfslive.org and read up on the -r option. Apparently it came about because of a bug in the original MFSTools which has since been fixed in the latest MFS Live version. I don't even bother with it, I just let restore go with the default. Notice I said restore and not mfsrestore-some, perhaps many, of the command names have been changed in the live version.

I use the -s option to make the swap partition size about 0.5% of hard drive size. A 1TB drive gets a 500MB swap partition.

Were you booting from a floppy or a SATA cd or dvd drive other than the 2 you had the backup cds in?

Are those 2 DVD drives actually PATA? I don't know if mfstools recognize SATA drives or not. MFS Live does, but they'd be sda and sdb, not hda and hdb.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And furthermore, apparently your backup spanned 2 cds, but it looks like you tried to restore from only one of them.

I don't know if it would have prompted you for the second cd or not, but my guess would be that it just would have found half of a backup file on the first and quit in confusion.

7. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    Thanks again for all the explanations. I appreciate it. Looks like I probably really did screw up the original backup. You're right, it shouldn't be 2 CDs. It's probably something I did back then. I'll probably try it again this Saturday and go through your steps to see if it will work.

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'll post something more for you before then, so watch this space.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, here it is Saturday, and I can't for the life of me remember what else it was that I was going to post for you.

Oh well, holler if you need help.