Suspending DirecTV but keeping DirectTiVo HD... guide data?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by isbellHFh, Aug 7, 2008.

1. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA

Advertisements

Okay, so after putting it off for years, I've gotten to the point where I'm going to suspend my DirecTV account.

I have a TiVo HD that I use for almost all of my over-the-air HD and once you subtract that out, I could really just save the $65 / month I pay to them and pay for the few non OTA shows I halfway care about via iTunes/AppleTV or buy seasons on DVD and still come out way ahead.

My question is: if I shut down DirecTV, will my HR-250 still get guide data for the OTA channels so I can use it to record OTA shows if I wish, or will it become useless?

I'm pretty sure I used to know the answer to this, but apparently I'm getting old and my search fu is as poor as my memory.

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    It will work as an OTA receiver only, no record capabilities without the sub to D*. Not sure about the guide data, but I suspect you won't have any luck there, either.

I think you'll still have pause and skip, but that's about all. I don't have OTA here, so I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.

3. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    you'll get guide data and you can buffer/ffw/rw live (OTA) tv, but that's it.

4. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks, folks.

I guess I'll keep it around for guests who want to watch something while both recorders on the TiVo HD happen to be recording something else.

5. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...

Advertisements

Has anyone with a DirecTiVo HD that is suspended tried to use the manual record by time and channel?

The reason I ask is that I have an old S2 standalone TiVo with closed TiVo account status running v7.3.1 software and I can use the manual record by time and channel. Of course I don't get guide data but I was surprised to see I could at least use it like a VCR.

6. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Moved on to HR2x

Jan 26, 2006
    Royals country
    I've not tried it myself, but others have said that recording is disabled.