Survivorman anyone?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Wilhite, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1 of 38
    Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    Kind of buried in this thread , Bob Coxner talks about Survivorman , a show that is currently showing on The Science Channel.

My family has enjoyed all the episodes that they have shown so far. It's a lot of fun to watch him in each of the various situations that he puts himself in. Not very realistic all the time, but it's still a fun hour of TV.

Anyone else (besides me and Bob) watching this?

2. Nov 3, 2005 #2 of 38
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I don't get the Science channel and I suspect that many don't.

3. Nov 3, 2005 #3 of 38
    Wilhite

Oct 26, 2003
    You might be right. It's part of the Total Choice Plus package on DirecTv (channel 284) and America's Top 180 on Dish (channel 193). I don't know how many cable systems carry it though.

4. Nov 3, 2005 #4 of 38
    Spiff

Spiff Pawn in game of life

Mar 1, 2004
    Fox Cities,...
    Thanks, Wilhite, I'm going to give this a try. I need to justify that extra money I spend for a digital package, anyway! :)

5. Nov 4, 2005 #5 of 38
    lander215

lander215 Hooked on TiVo

Jan 10, 2003
    Love the show...just wish there were more places for him to go as they're already reruns. :(

He does a pretty good job of making do with what little he has and filming it all too boot. Anyone thinking about going on Survivor should watch so they could get some ideas on how to really start a fire (although they give them fire now anyway :( )

6. Nov 4, 2005 #6 of 38
    Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Because of this thread and went and read about this show. I was thinking, damn looks like a fine show...

UGH, I dont' get that channel...

Maybe it will make it to the regular Discovery Channel eventually.

7. Nov 4, 2005 #7 of 38
    Wilhite

Oct 26, 2003
    There are two "new" episodes coming up at the end of November and start of December that my Tivo hasn't recorded yet. I think that's all the episodes that they made except for the "Making Of..." episode that shows the behind the scenes stuff and outtakes.

8. Nov 4, 2005 #8 of 38
    phodg

phodg New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Great show. He's a pretty tough guy. And his stomach is amazing - he eats some gross stuff at times.

9. Nov 4, 2005 #9 of 38
    TeeSee

TeeSee Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks interesting. Tonight's episode is set to record. Thanks for the heads up. :)

10. Head

Head New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I discovered this show a few weeks ago by accident. It's quite high on my season pass list now. I really enjoy it.

I also wish there were more episodes though; quite a few reruns.

Apparently the 1st season is on DVD here.

Great show!

11. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I found it by accident too, because I record "Discoveries This Week", and it caught the begining of it one time.

Really great show, I read somewhere that they were negotiating a second season and that Les is recording some other show called "...off The Grid" that is about him and his family living without any power, water, etc or something.

12. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I just started watching this about three weeks ago. There was a marathon, and now I am hooked. I hope they continue to find new situations to drop him off in. This week he will be a castaway in the ocean. That should be fun to watch.

13. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I've just stumbled across this show. There are actually 2 shows now....a 1/2 hour version that I think plays on Discovery and then the full hour show that runs on the Science channel. I just discovered the hour long show and switched my SP to that one.

14. dcehl

dcehl New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    The show has been on Canada's OLN for over a year now - showing consistently/weekly. I really enjoy the show - his philosophy and respect for nature. I have to agree that the "behind the scenes" show was outstanding. My wife didn't really get it until she saw that episode and was blown away. I also enjoyed the episode in Northern Ontario! He was eating crazy stuff and got snowed on! I guess canadian programming has two perks - survivorman & HNIC!

15. Wilhite

Oct 26, 2003
    This is the only show that I haven't seen in the series. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't shown on The Science Channel here in the US.

For anyone interested, he has a website (was linked earlier but in different context) where he posts some news about what's going on. He's said that there is some potential for a new set of Survivorman shows, but nothing seems to be firm yet. I don't think that he could stretch it out much more than about 20-30 shows, but it would be really cool to see him put together another set.

16. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I discovered it accidentally about a month ago and have 4 or 5 episodes ready to watch. I'll save them for a rainy summer rerun season day.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have watched one episode, "plane crash" and it now makes sense that the show is an hour. I saw the half hour show.

18. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I REALLY want to see the Behind the Scenes episode, but I havn't seen it air yet.

How can I get it?

19. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Don't forget Trailer Park Boys!

20. jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000
    I just saw this as well - did we all catch the same promo somewhere? I watched one episode and added a SP.