Survivor

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by bobfrank, Feb 26, 2017.

1. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Looks like everyone will need to create a new one pass again for the new Survivor season starting March 8. Survivior: Game Changers

worachj likes this.
  2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    With our luck, they will adjust at the last minute to record under the old show id whose onepass we removed after we created the new onepass.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Set to record on Directv with the series link I set up many, many years ago.

4. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I haven't, and won't, delete the old onepass. They might go back to the old title next season. So, I'm good either way.

5. yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
    New onepass added.
    Survivor: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers

6. Oct 3, 2017 #6 of 99
    Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Why are some shows like this? They include the season in the title ("Survivor Game Changers", "The Amazing Race 29", etc). Meanwhile most other shows just include the overarching title, and then if they have a season or semi-season theme ("Gotham: Mad City") they include it in the episode title. We don't see "Grey's Anatomy 14". Setting a OnePass for each successive season is ridiculous. Why should we have to babysit a "smart" device that claims the ability-to-do exactly what it's not doing?

Is there a contact we can complain to about this? I know about the lineup form (Report a Lineup Issue) but don't think it really fits there.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  7. Oct 3, 2017 #7 of 99
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I believe there is a show ID separate from the show title and the season passes match by ID, so even if the text title changes, season passes can still work. Of course if the show Title change induces a show ID change, then it is annoying.

8. Oct 3, 2017 #8 of 99
    Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Yeah, I imagine the show ID and title are interrelated. Each time there's a variation in the title, it gets a new ID (since it would seem to be a different show). Otherwise all the CSI's and Law and Order spinoffs would be considered one show. Are there examples of this not being the case? Say a show that continually has different variations to the title, but still gets recorded with the same OnePass? Usually the titles are pretty succinct... Modern Family... Scandal... Big Brother... The Blacklist... etc.

I don't know why they can't just enter the data as: Show Title="Survivor"; Show ID="12345"; Episode Title="Game Changers: 'The Stakes Have Been Raised'" etc etc etc. Then the OnePass works for every season.

ETA: Just thought of one situation that might fit the question I asked. Does anyone have a OnePass for "Thursday Night Football" or "Sunday Night Football"? Is that possible? Does it work? I believe the names of the teams show up in each week's title. So if my theory holds, that would cause a new ID for each week's game, and thus a OnePass wouldn't work.

9. Oct 3, 2017 #9 of 99
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Survivor and Big Brother change titles every season and they recorded for something like 7 years for me using the same Season Pass. The first time in a long time it failed was after the Rovi transition.

The way it is supposed to work is
    CSI gets a unique showID
    CSI Miami gets a unique showID

If next season CSI changes title to CSI Sans Grissom, the showID (in the guide data) is supposed to stay the same as previous seasons and continue to be unique from CSI Miami, so everything gets recorded properly.

10. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Actually Big Brother was just "Big Brother" (this season anyway) and then the episode title was the date of airing. Pretty bare bones.

I'm only about 11 months into my TiVo experience so I can't say how anything used to be. But it really chaps my *** that setting a OnePass for Survivor in March '17 doesn't carry over to Survivor in Sept '17. That's just absolutely stupid.

11. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Over 10 years, Big Brother has alternated from just being Big Brother (most of the time) to including the season in the Title. The problem used to be that the Survivor reunion show would have a different showID and wouldn't get picked up, then they fixed that, but now season to season they have been changing the showIDs.

With Rovi data, I basically create a wishlist as backup that I enable after the end of a season. I have one for Survivor, Big Brother, and The Amazing Race. I also create wishlists for some shows that flip to sister channels if there is a ball game going on because usually it is the same repeated bump, either football, basketball, or baseball.

I can tell you it is certainly possible for them to do things in a way that survivor still records even though the title changes. They just haven't been doing it since the Rovi transition. This is part of why you hear complaints about Rovi data or Rovi purchase. They old TiVo/Tribune seemed to care more that the guide data was accurate and recorded everything without babysitting. They were proactive in fixing things. Now it seems like they don't really care until somebody complains.

12. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    As I mentioned up thread, I haven't changed my Survivor (or Amazing Race) series recording in many years. Picks them all up just fine.

13. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Weird. Do either of you keep these seasons on your TiVo into the next season (holding onto season 34 of Survivor while 35 starts)? How does it handle the sorting/folders at that point? Does it folder-ize all Survivors together then? Or are each in its own season-themed folder? Because having multiple seasons of, say "Modern Family" in one folder, seems reasonable. But I can't imagine they'd group all these title-variation shows together.

I'm going to try setting a OnePass for "Thursday Night Football" later and see what happens.

14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If I recall correct, the folder name is the show title the season pass was originally created with. Again, if I recall correct, you can sort by record date, season/ep, etc. using the blue B button.

With my Wishlists, I've actually have the same show appear under two different folders, one for the Wishlist, and one for the Season Pass. There are actually the same physical recording, because if I delete one, both go away. I think this is a bug in TiVo, but does show that a show does not necessarily need to be sorted under a folder that matches the current show name.

15. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    It's a Directv DVR

16. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Haha. Well, I guess none of your experience really applies then. Unless you're trying to sell me on DTV.

I ended up not having to set the OnePass for TNF. I did "Explore This Show" and found that even though it says "Thursday Night Football" in the guide (I mistakenly thought the teams playing each week also got listed in the title), the show information comes up as "NFL Football". It also lists all games on every channel in the "Upcoming Episodes" menu, not just those categorized as TNF.

This little experiment just confuses me even more as to why Rovi/Tivo can't create showIDs/info that will allow Survivor and The Amazing Race OnePasses to record across seasons.

17. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    They can, they just chose not to. I'm guessing someone used to manually adjust the ShowIDs when popular shows came out with new showIDs through the automated system. That person probably doesn't work there after the Rovi merger.

18. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    New season of Survivor starts Wed Feb 28th (2 hour premiere)... AND... drumroll... it's listed as just "Survivor". There's no sub-theme (": Game Changers" ": Heroes vs Villains") included in the OnePass title. So hopefully this means Rivo is catching on finally, and OnePasses will actually function as "One Pass to record everything from each show".

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Keep watching. It is just Survivor now, but may change to "Ghost Island".

20. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    An old OP I have for "Survivor" (no sub-theme) did not pick it up. I had to set up a new "Survivor" OP.