Survivor: Winners at War - s40 e11 OAD 4-22-20

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Apr 23, 2020.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Holy moly!!!

That was one of the best episodes in the history of the show. We are so lucky that Tony somehow managed to stick around long enough to pull something like this off. I don't think anyone has ever had a better single episode performance than Tony did last night:

First, he finds an immunity idol. Then, he has the misfortune of having the extortion advantage played against him. With his back up against the wall, he somehow manages to convince Jeremy, Nick and Ben to give him three fire tokens so he can compete in the challenge and won't lose his vote. He then goes on to win the challenge, and uses that safety as leverage to save Jeremy and organize a massive blindside against Sophie who has an idol in her pocket.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    The players really are good. You can clearly see the difference in level of play.

How many times is Sarah going to fall for Tony's con? Tony knows how to win you back better than any player in Survivor history.

tivotvaddict and Steveknj like this.
  3. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    You gotta love the look Jeremy was giving to Ben as the votes were being read and his name kept coming up. :)

4. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    It's "The Tony Hour"! Agree it was one of the best eps ever. Awesome play by Tony, who also had the best line of the night: "Say hello to my little friend." Though I also liked Sophie's parting line: "I can take the idol out of my crotch now."

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've been rooting for Tony since almost the beginning. I forgot how good a player he is. Sure his personality can be grating, but I like that he seems a step ahead of everyone, and that because of his police training he has a good feel for people, and can use it as an advantage (Sarah has some of that too). What might cost him is his social game isn't great, but it might be enough to where people don't hate him. I think it was smart to play it cool early and let the bigger names and perceived threats get voted off. But I still think, at the end of the day, whoever comes back for EoE is going to win for the same reason as last time. After that many days together, they will have made friends with the jury, and even if they haven't they will have some idea what the jury is thinking and play on that. It's the unfairest of unfair advantages. Plus we still don't know how those firetokens can be used by them, and that could give them an even BIGGER advantage.

Martha and VegasVic like this.
  6. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    When she said that, all I could think was..."ewwww"

Family likes this.
  7. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    So in theory it is likely 4 vs 4 now. Jeremy, Tony, Nick, Michelle vs Sarah, Denise, Kim, Ben

Tony has a HII. Michelle has her 50/50 coin. Does anyone else still have an advantage?

8. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I am holding out hope that this won't be the case. This jury is made of up of some the best and most strategic minds in the history of Survivor. I don't think they vote for a friend over a strategic player. Not only would it go against their respect for Survivor, since many of them trade on their Survivor fame, voting for someone who didn't earn it, would look bad. It would almost have to be a perfect storm at the Final Tribal Council with a player from EoE who likely only voted out near the end and strong resume (e.g. Tony) versus a non-EoE player(s) that really never made any big moves (Nick?). And in that case, I could respect the decision. But, I don't see them voting for a Rob, Parvati, or even Tyson, even if they get back in to the game.

tivotvaddict, Martha and Family like this.
  9. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
  10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I agree with Dalton on this:

11. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I agree as well. I can get behind people on Edge being able to sell advantages to active players, but it hardly seems fair what happened to Tony.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  12. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I felt really bad for Sophie. She had been playing such a great game up to this point. She had a solid alliance, a good social game, and an idol in her pocket. Next thing you know ... BAM!!! That's really got to hurt, especially for someone that has never been voted out before.

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I hope you are right, but given that is exactly what happened last time, that many of the jury are friends outside the game, and that they "know" what it's like to live on EoE (it might be worse than in in the actual game), and I see that as a huge advantage. Throw in whatever they decide to do with fire tokens (we don't know if that would be some kind of advantage to a returning player yet but you have to think it will be, or what's the point of them trying to collect them?), and it's a recipe for the non players to "steal" the game.

14. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I think Tony's social game is fantastic. That's the reason he can consistently screw people over and still have them trust him.

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's not one of those social games where everyone loves him. Thus, not "great", and there are already some grumblings about him. But, he's good at pulling strings, knowing when to make a move, when to switch sides and how that's going to help him. I could never understand why he's never talked about as one of the games great players.

lynncosbm likes this.
  16. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Despite his abysmal performance in Game Changers, I still think Tony came into this season as one of the more respected and feared players. That's why it is so surprising to see him make it this deep into the game. I thought for sure he wouldn't even make the merge.

17. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I guess we disagree. There's grumblings about him because Tony backstabs alliance members, goes and looks for idols, hides in the bushes to get information, is constantly playing hard. It's not the Sandra type social game. But the fact that he does all this and isn't viewed as another Russell, in fact he's generally liked, is because he's so good at the social aspect of play.

Edit I guess we are almost saying the same thing, just disagree on whether that makes him great at it.

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    When I think great social game, I think of a social game as an asset. Everyone likes you, you are good to your alliance, that sort of thing. I don't see Tony that way. I don't think it's a BAD social game in that everyone hates him or that he's got a bunch of people mad enough at him that they wouldn't vote for him at the end, but I think it's good enough that I don't think it will be a factor at the end of the game....unless someone popular from EoE comes back and that person could win.

19. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Regardless of whether or not you think Tony is a good social player (I think he is), he's without a doubt the most entertaining player the game has ever seen.

JFriday, tivotvaddict and Martha like this.
  20. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I keep hearing Andy Garcia when I hear Tony talk. Anybody else think that?