Survivor: Winners at War - S40 E04 OAD 3/4/20

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Mar 5, 2020 #1 of 32
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I was bummed to see Tyson get voted out, but they were smart to target him. The guy is crazy good at the game. He was absolutely correct in his assumption that the players without a connection were likely to form an alliance. Unfortunately for him, there was no way Sandra wasn't gunning for him after he threw her name out. I thought for a moment that Sarah might use her steal a vote advantage, but she was probably smart not to. It's still early in the game, and with a probable tribe swap coming up, you need to hold on to advantages like that as long as you can.

That was a smart move by Nick to throw a vote towards Kim.

It's about time the blue team finally won a challenge. That was an amazing comeback!

I enjoyed the stuff on Edge, but did we really need 10 minutes of it? Once again, EoE is taking away from time that could have been used to show more game play.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    LlamaLarry, DevdogAZ and Steveknj like this.
  2. Mar 5, 2020 #2 of 32
    dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    It was a beautiful moment when the EoE folks walked the last trip up the steps with Ethan. But the fact that they’re bonding is a foreshadow of the last EoE season, when the returnee won the game because all his EoE buddies were on the jury.

Loved the come-from-behind win at the Immunity challenge!

3. Mar 5, 2020 #3 of 32
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    My eyes weren't watery at ALL during that EoE, nope not at all.

I don't mind EoE being a part of the show like this. Hopefully they won't have someone come back in at the very end, but am glad I get a chance to see my faves Natalie, Ethan, and Tyson a bit more.

Especially Tyson. Super sad to see him go, even though it was the right decision for Sandra. He even makes unconsciously snarky comments. :D

The Tony/Sandra sit out bench jinxing the Sele tribe's attempts to get the keys - how funny is that? (FALL! YA!)

4. Mar 5, 2020 #4 of 32
    gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I was so worried that Ethan was going to get removed from the game by medical. Instead, it turned into an amazing example of perseverance.

Natalie is such a beast. At least Tyson is now there to give her a run for the money. I wonder why Tyson bequeathed his fire token to Nick. That seemed so random. Was he just trying to be funny?

5. Mar 5, 2020 #5 of 32
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    My guess? a bit of being funny, a bit of respect for being "got," a bit of not wanting to give it anyone who voted for him, and a bit of wanting to sow seeds of chaos.

lalouque, gweempose and JFriday like this.
  6. Mar 5, 2020 #6 of 32
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Another week where you can see that this isn't these players first rodeo and the thought process of game winners. It's a lot of fun to be part of that. As for EoE, yes you can see how they bond, but remember, none of these people (as far as we know anyway) will be part of the jury. My hope is that they bring back the player before the jury is formed so that the advantage of schmoozing with the jury members is negated. My fear is that they are going to play this exactly like last time. In which case i'm going to hate the execution again.

Once again, the three "best players" Sandra, Rob and Parv get a free pass. It seems that even if Rob's team went to jury both he and Parv were safe. Sandra is doing her best lay in the weeds game. Would it shock anyone if those three ended up as the final three?

But it was interesting talk about using Tyson as a "shield". It's something we sort of discussed last week, where as long as Tyson is around it keeps a big "target" in the game. But that only works if you think he doesn't ultimately have a chance to win. But, it can backfire if he's there too long. I think they may have realized that you take the targets out when you can, and that's why he went.

7. Mar 5, 2020 #7 of 32
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Rob throwing out the casual red herring comment about what to do with Adam because he keeps wanting to talk to him was genius...

Adam thinks that by NOT actually talking to Rob, that it keeps him safe... Wrong... :)

jeetkunedo and tiellv like this.
  8. Mar 5, 2020 #8 of 32
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Based on interviews I've heard with Probst, I think you're going to hate the execution again. Nothing specific, but I think I heard someone suggest to him that the player from EoE come back before the last episode of the game, and he seemed to think that wouldn't be good storytelling or something.
    That was pretty dirty by Rob. Smart, but dirty. Hopefully Adam is able to convince the other players on his tribe that Rob is lying. But given how good all these players are, it's really tough to figure out who is telling the truth.

Very bummed to see Tyson get voted out. Hopefully he can battle Natalie and get back in at the merge.

gweempose likes this.
  9. Mar 5, 2020 #9 of 32
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That is what I'm afraid of, and frankly what I expect. But considering the last time they had this, and the person who came back at the end of the game won, and there was outrage from a lot of the fans, that they would not do it again. But I think Jeff has always liked it and I get the feeling that the game has become a lot about what Jeff likes, that this is the way they will go. And I think it has a lot to do with keeping the more popular players around longer. That's why we got 10 minutes of the Ethan saga this week since Ethan is a popular player and an inspirational story. Jeff likes the idea of keeping him around as long as possible. And imagine if a cancer survivor makes the final three? Ratings gold, Jerry!!" (paraphrasing from Seinfeld)

10. lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The Sandra Diaz bench. That was funny as heck. And I love that Sandra owned it. Didn't bother her at all.

11. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm guessing in Jeff's mind he thinks we will be more receptive to one of these players coming back and winning than we were to Chris Underwood because we already know them, and will continue to root for our favorites even when they are on EoE. I can understand the logic to this, but I'm still not a fan of EoE at all.

On a side note, EoE is really screwing me in a fantasy league I am in. The players get points each week based on idols, rewards, confessionals, etc ... I am playing against a friend, and even though all of the players voted out so far except one are on his team, he's still crushing me in points. Despite being the first person voted out of the game, Natalie actually has the second highest point total because of all her fire token wins and confessionals.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Here's the specific interview with Probst that I was talking about. This was an interview done just a few weeks ago at the Red Carpet Premiere of this season (they did a big glitzy Hollywood-style premiere a couple days before it aired on TV). The reason the timeframe of the interview matters is because obviously the season was already in the can when he made these comments. I'll spoilerize for those who don't want to know what Probst said.

Probst: [EoE] is back this year simply because every player said, 'Tell me there's a second chance island cuz I'm damn sure not leaving my kids to be first out.'

Rob Cesternino:
    I get it. The players like it. I feel like we need some PR on the Edge of Extinction. What if it stopped a little bit further away from the end so it's not quite as easy to come back and then go on to win, because I think that's where people get upset where when somebody is on the Edge for so long and then they come back and they win and they weren't in the main game.

Probst: Right. I totally get that. And the philosophy has always been that whatever massive twist we're doing, thematic twist, it needs to pay off in the final episode. So that's how we structure it. If you looked at it as a movie, it's the last act. Does he get the girl? It has to pay off. But I hear what you're saying. It is something truly to consider, which is maybe we're deep enough in the show that it doesn't have to pay off with symmetry at the very end. Maybe it can go to Episode 10 and it's just a fun twist.

Rob Cesternino: Because you do such a great job casting the show and finding the players that are ready to play so hard, that they're ready to go and they're ready to bring it from day one.

Probst: Yeah. And I hate losing good people. That's the reason the jury got bigger, is that we'd see somebody that was being voted out going, 'Oh my god, we don't even get them on the jury? What if we made the jury a little bigger?' These are not scientific answers. They're just ideas.

13. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I loved that. As hard as that was for everyone, to go another trip to support Ethan was just beautiful. It warms my heart.

Martha and dbranco like this.
  14. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    When I saw the challenge they had to do on EOE my first thought was I sure hope they fed well and keep them hydrated.

Martha likes this.
  15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think the key takeaway here is that Jeff sees this as more of a movie than a gameshow. The idea is to make sure you stay until the end of the movie. But what he doesn't realize is that, there's money involved so it become a game show, viewers want to see a game played fairly, don't want to see players getting an unfair advantage, and be able to win the game without actually playing "the game". At least that was what people were outraged about last time. I do get with this group, you needed something to entice them to play. I'd have thought $2M would be a good enticement to commit to play. But I'm betting it was Rob who said uniess Amber and i get to play until the end, I'm not coming. Without Rob, you couldn't do an all winners season.

Martha likes this.
  16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was wondering about that. I didn't see them with water at any time. They should have allowed them to take water with them.

17. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I was impressed with Rob's team challenge they should have been toast. I kept thinking how tired Adam was getting having to swim and then attempt to jump multiple times.

18. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    They did show some of the women with canteens. It might have been once they finished.

Steveknj likes this.
  19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The $2 million is great, but the players know that's only going to 1 person. The other change that wasn't widely reported is they upped the minimum payout from $2,500 to $25,000. So everyone gets at least $25k and that made a huge difference in getting people to agree to play.

stellie93 likes this.
  20. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Is that across the board? I remember on one of the other all star editions where the winner got 1 Million and the runner up got $100K.