Survivor: Winners at War - S40 E01 OAD 2-12-2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Feb 13, 2020.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

Well, that was a fun and promising start. Everyone looks great, even if a bit older, grayer, and thicker around the middle. I'm glad that the show isn't trying to gloss over that there are friendships outside the game.

I was skeptical about the Fire Token concept, but it may just work out, especially in conjunction with the Extinction Island thing. If there aren't hidden immunity idols around camp, but instead they come through relationships or strategy of the voted out players, that could be a nice fresh twist. I really can't see any of this cast spending the tokens on food or comfort, though, when advantages are for sale.

I wasn't happy to see Nat and Amber go first, but it had to be somebody and at this point everyone is a threat. This looks like the strongest and most motivated cast Survivor has ever started with. It was fun watching Rob do his Rob thing and I'm glad it worked, at least this time. I expect he will be VERY unhappy with the other tribe voting Amber off. If he manages to make it to the first tribal shuffle, I expect retribution.

Really looking forward to the next 3 months of Wednesday nights!

tiellv likes this.
  2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I didn't understand the fire tokens before the show started, what they put out online didn't make sense to me. Seeing it in action made it much more clearer, and I think I am going to like it.

Loved they got rid of Ambuh first. Smart move, and one of Rob's number one rules - break up the couples.

I still don't like that the show got rid of the reaction shot of when the tribes meet after someone has been voted off. Unless I missed it somehow.

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Interesting read on those that were not invited back or were not interested.

stellie93 likes this.
  4. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I think they are going to regret voting Amber out. Now she’s going to be potentially feeding Rob more advantages from the island than just the fire coin.

5. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL

Advertisements

I liked this episode a lot. Unlike the typical first episode of the season, we didn't have to spend the episode trying to figure out who everyone was.

I thought it was interesting that many of the winners (like Yul) are not part of the "Survivor network". That could be both good and bad for them. But, by voting out Amber, the tribes are already looking at breaking up pre-show alliances (whether they are real or imaginary.)

I will hold off on judging the Fire tokens. But, I thought a HII for 1 token was rather weak. I know they want to get the idols in play as soon as possible, but that was just too easy. Maybe, it should have been 1 token for a clue to an idol (and have the idol hidden at the challenge, like they do sometime.) No one was going to NOT take the idol, regardless who got it. (I wonder why Natalie chose Sandra? Maybe she assumed, like many of us, that Sandra was an early and easy target?) I wonder if Amber will have the same offer, and give an idol to Rob? I hope the producers have other options, or we could have way too many idols in play at once.

It was very nice to see a set of survivors that didn't appear to have any "weak" tribe members in the challenge. It is a shame when one or two tribe members continually cost a tribe at challenges. All these survivors are somewhat fit and athletic.

6. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Getting rid of Amber before Sandra is such a bad move. Sandra should have been the number one target.

lalouque and lynncosbm like this.
  7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    When the two tribes met up for the second immunity challenge Probst said the usual "Getting your first look at the umpty-fratz tribe. Natalie voted off at the first tribal council."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Donbadabon likes this.
  8. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Wow! That was intense! If the modern game is played at light speed, this season is being played at warp 9.8. :) When Natalie got voted out, I was thinking to myself, "Man, she's such a dominant player to be voted out first!" But that's just it. These are almost ALL dominant players in one way or another. Every week when someone gets voted out, I'll be bummed to see the player go. So it now makes complete sense to me why they chose to keep edge of extinction this season, and why specifically they created the fire tokens. It allows players to remain pertinent even after being voted out. Of course, it remains to be seen if the fire tokens will ultimately be a good twist in the grand scheme of things, but I'm feeling much better about them after watching the first episode.

I really like the Yul, Wendell, Nick and Sophie alliance. I'm a big fan of all those players, and I hope they do well. Yul looks like he hasn't aged a day.

Ben looked like a complete fool! He was spilling his guts to Rob within minutes. It's funny how some of the new players are so intimidated by Rob. It's like he's the Godfather out there. :)

It was crazy seeing Kim in such a vulnerable position. I thought for sure she was toast. I hope she can get some footing, but they seem to be coming hard for the "poker alliance".

It was very stupid of Adam and Denise to put themselves into that position. They are lucky one of them didn't get voted off.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  9. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Yep. They even showed a close-up of Sandra reacting.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I really liked the first 2 episodes, but again, they are giving too much power to voted off survivors. My hope is that they bring them back either by the merge of before the jury so that they don't have the advantage of "schmoozing" the jury before coming back into the game and force them to at least compete with the rest of the players rather than get a free pass.

You could just "feel" the wheels spinning in Boston Rob's head. He's already playing mind games and it amazes me how even with a tribe of winners, he can still convince people to not vote for him. He's smart enough to see which way the wind is blowing and make the best move for his game. There's no way they should keep him around for more than a week or two. But, with that said, he could be VERY dangerous playing from Edge of Extinction island.

As for the tokens, I like them, but I think they need to be harder to earn, and I think something like immunity should be more than one token. And the problem with them is that, especially early in the game, they are going to be handed to players with alliances outside the game, and that's not really "fair" (whatever "fair" is).

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I still have a problem with bringing back players who were voted off, but I can at least understand the reasoning. As long as it's not an "ADVANTAGE" to be voted off, like what wound up last time when Chris won, I could live with it.

12. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I think the key to fully enjoying this season is to embrace the idea that this is a very different game of Survivor than what has been played in the past. Being voted out no longer means that your game is over. It just means that you have moved into a parallel, but still very important side game. It's clear from the power of the fire tokens that they are going to play a HUGE part in the game's final outcome.

tiellv, DevdogAZ and tivotvaddict like this.
  13. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I think Michelle has got to be the most forgettable winner of them all. Most everyone else I can remember a little SOMETHING about them, but I had no idea who this girl was until they showed her winning at her final tribal and I was like, "Oh there's Aubrey and Tai and... I still got nothing about her."

lalouque and tiellv like this.
  14. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Yep. Michelle played a decent game, but she was completely overshadowed that season by some much more interesting personalities. I remember being shocked that she beat Aubrey.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Oh, I agree, it's a different game. But, you don't have to like it or fully embrace it. That's entirely subjective. I like the fire tokens aspect. But if you're going to continue to give the ability to come back in the game, then the ceremony needs to change at the end of TC. If they snuff your torch, that's it. What they should do is make it clear to the viewers and the players that getting voted off does NOT mean the end of the game, that you are moving to "purgatory" and that you will need to fight your way back into the game. And really, I'm kind of OK with that, as long as it's early enough to NOT be an advantage to get brought back. Last time out, the exiled player get to know the jury, did not have "survive" life in the tribes so not only did they NOT get the opportunity to play themselves out of the game by being in a losing alliance or making a dumb move, but they get to sit back, win one challenge, make friends with their jury and go back and win. It was just too easy. (and yeah, I get that only ONE player goes back, but still, that one player had a HUGE advantage that those that stayed didn't have). In this case, the potential is there for it to be even worse, because they can make friends and alliances by giving advantages to someone still playing. But like I said, if they bring the player back early enough, I'm fine with it. I understand from a production standpoint losing the more well known players early could be a problem and it's a way to keep eyeballs watching. If BR or Sandra or Parvati go out early, people might lose interest.

16. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
  17. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Great first episode. It's really entertaining to watch these people go at it.

Funny how with all these superstars together, nobody wanted to throw out a name to the point of almost not even having a plan going into tribal.

They need to get Rob to Extinction ASAP so Amber can't keep helping him out from over there.

I imagine the fire tokens will be more interesting as things go on. Right now everybody only has one so they had to make things cheaper to start with. I bet costs will change as the game goes on.

18. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Keep in mind that now that there are more people on EoE, they will be harder for an individual to earn because they will be competing for them in some capacity.

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Seems like Dalton agrees with me, and also that he's going with it, as am I. No sense to keep harping on why I don't like it. But, I will do that later on if I feel that getting voted off becomes and advantage again.

20. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    This. Those that said they didn't like that a HII was only 1 token, remember 2 things: 1) that everyone on the losing tribe only had 1 token (remember Jeremy's team won and he was the only person with 2 tokens); 2) the HII is only good for the first 3 TCs. Powerful, but not as powerful as a "true" HII that can be kept until final 5.

lalouque likes this.